993 Forum 1995-1998

Smart Cars

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:38 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Smart Cars

Thought I'd post this over here too, for those of you who don't venture into the "adult pool" know as Off Topic........

Got a call that my Smart ForTwo is "on the boat". Wife doesn't want this automotive Yorkie. I just spec'd one out on the website a few months ago on impulse. Anyone here have/ordered/driven/squished one?

Not sure I'll even take delivery. Good thing is they are selling them at sticker price. So we'll see.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default squished one:

This video will show the incredible strength of the cage @ 70miles to 0!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

We have had a fortwo for the last 4 years, if you can live with the slow gearchange and over-low engagement speed of the auto clutch when pulling away in first gear they are fantastic fun to pedal around town. I once drove ours 300 miles on a round trip to collect my Audi - managed a steady 70+mph flat all the way and still returned over 40mpg. Our's is a Pulse version which is their equivalent to a Clubsport, more power and less extras.
The missus has now replaced the Smart with an Audi A2 1.4tdi which is a 5 seater, more economical than the Smart and cheaper to Tax at £50 a year, so at some point soon the Smart will have to go but I'll miss it when it does.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some my first one on the street this weekend. First saw them in Paris about 3 years ago and thought they were a great urban vehicle. Wouldn't mind one myself. Very high cool factor.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:55 PM
doberdog

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I call it the dumb car.
Two seats, no storage, bad gearbox and overpriced. You'll see every business with their logo on the side of one soon. They have been on sale here in Canada for over three years and most are used as advertising. I'd buy a Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris or Nissan Versa a a city runaround vehicle.....cheap to buy and run, plus you can seat 4 and have storage.

Quick Reply: Smart Cars