Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Aftermarket HID installs do anything with hi-beam

Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's not forget that HID's are designed for use with projector lenses - low beam, and not for reflector lenses - high beam.
I don't mind admitting I never knew this, so does this mean that Litronic's are dipped beam only? or are they a different technology? (sorry if this is a dumb newbie question)
Old 02-04-2008, 03:55 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It just means that for the high beams, there will be a huge amount of wasted light spilling all over the place. They should still be much better than stock, but more of a flood light than a spot light.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:37 PM
c.hatton@virgin.net
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to say that I have converted both high and low beam. It is a bit of a squeeze to get two ballasts in each wing behind the headlamps but if you do get the superslim versions they will fit OK. The additioonal high beam conversion is definately worhwhile in my opinion and the best value for money modification I have ever done to any car. Although the HIDs work better with projector lenses the high beam refelctors still produce a much greater area of illumination and a much longer beam than either the low beam only HIDs or the combination of low beam HIDs and standard halogen high beams. I have had no problems using them on the extrtemely dark country roads where I live and have not been flashed by oncoming motorists due to excessive glare. On low beam there is little additonal stray light over normal halogens. I would certainly not go back to halogen for low or high beam. I have not found the slight delay in achieving full brightness a problem either as once they have fully warmed up the delay is much shorter when high beam is switched back on.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

c.hatton, I will be interested to see how long your high-beam HIDs last. It was my understanding that they were not designed to be switched on and off frequently as would be required when encountering oncoming traffic, or that there wouldn't be excessive heat with 2 HID bulbs and ballasts in the light assembly. Keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Southampton76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a low beam HID kit. They are aimed just slightly higher and to the right. I don't miss the high beams at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID installs do anything with hi-beam