993 Forum 1995-1998

$20K Rebuild/Refresh/Upgrade = New Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default $20K Rebuild/Refresh/Upgrade = New Car

After 7 years of tracking my car the transmission started to get a bit wonky last year (actually I think Spencer Pumpelly pushed it over the edge) .. wouldn't stay in 4th gear, hard to shift, etc.

So into the shop for a rebuild.

However I entered into one of those 'while we're in there' trances ... the end end result is as follows:

1) Rebuilt Tranny
2) Guards LSD (60/40)
3) RS Short Shift Kit
4) RS Clutch
5) JIC/CROSS Suspension Kit w/ 14/14 Springs
6) EVO Upright Kit
7) Clutch Slave Cylinder
8) Wheel Bearings
9) Power Steering Rack

I picked the car up today and was really shocked at the difference. The clutch is like butter, the turn-in is incredible, lot's of odd noises that I previously have disappeared, the shifting is very precise, etc, etc.

For the price I could have had a nice Carrera or a high mile 964. Oh well ...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably could have but then you'd need $20,000 more to fix it up.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 46 Posts

Did you re-gear when you rebuilt the trans?
Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
After 7 years of tracking my car the transmission started to get a bit wonky last year (actually I think Spencer Pumpelly pushed it over the edge) .. wouldn't stay in 4th gear, hard to shift, etc.

So into the shop for a rebuild.

However I entered into one of those 'while we're in there' trances ... the end end result is as follows:

1) Rebuilt Tranny
2) Guards LSD (60/40)
3) RS Short Shift Kit
4) RS Clutch
5) JIC/CROSS Suspension Kit w/ 14/14 Springs
6) EVO Upright Kit
7) Clutch Slave Cylinder
8) Wheel Bearings
9) Power Steering Rack

I picked the car up today and was really shocked at the difference. The clutch is like butter, the turn-in is incredible, lot's of odd noises that I previously have disappeared, the shifting is very precise, etc, etc.

Very cool to be able to do it all at once, Harvey.

With that EVO upright kit, it looks you're another step closer to GT!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Did not do a re-gear ... that would have really pushed the budget over the edge.

Trying to avoid GT class Lee ...
Old 01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Oh stop your whining, that car before the work was faster than Michael Jackson to a 10 year old boy.......you know you spent good money and its even faster now!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Bad visual Chris ... BADDD visual ...

Now I just have to re-learn how to drive it ... the suspension is going to be completely different ... shifting ... clutch ... everything ...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you please explain the logic of the 14k/14k spring rates. I know you have said it just works...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Harvey. Sounds like money well spent. If you would have had just another $5K what else would you have had done?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Bad visual Chris ... BADDD visual ...

Now I just have to re-learn how to drive it ... the suspension is going to be completely different ... shifting ... clutch ... everything ...

......who's bad <<<heeeee>>>>

Having been on track with you, I'd guess it won't take long to learn you DE'ing any time soon?
Old 01-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see a lot of talk on this board about this EVO upright kit and changing the suspension geometry, gearing etc... I guess these changes are mostly for DE prowess as these changes are not leagle for stock class club racing right? I just always worry about modding too far past a defined point where I could sell the car as a club racing car and not a car pushed too far past the rules to be of any value to anyone but a DE guy. Not that the mods are not worth while but just pondering where people are going with their car etc... I guess you could always just jump into GT racing like mentioned above but then you are really competing with many $$$$.

I am agressivly modding my 993 but will stay in the rules for stock class G and learn the car at that level. Top line stuff at every leagle level.

Comments?

Jeff
Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasser
I see a lot of talk on this board about this EVO upright kit and changing the suspension geometry, gearing etc... I guess these changes are mostly for DE prowess as these changes are not leagle for stock class club racing right? I just always worry about modding too far past a defined point where I could sell the car as a club racing car and not a car pushed too far past the rules to be of any value to anyone but a DE guy. Not that the mods are not worth while but just pondering where people are going with their car etc... I guess you could always just jump into GT racing like mentioned above but then you are really competing with many $$$$.

I am agressivly modding my 993 but will stay in the rules for stock class G and learn the car at that level. Top line stuff at every leagle level.

Comments?

Jeff
Agreed, but I guess the question is: would scrutineering notice the difference (evo vs stock uprights)... I am guessing not. I would think evo uprights is a more subtle change to correct geometry than say wevo kit....

comments?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
matt777
Drifting

At least you know what you've got now. The 993 is supposed to be significantly better than it's predecessors so you can't think like that!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Jim,

I went with 14 / 14 at the recommendation of my local wrench who is a crew chief for a Grand Am team that runs Cup Cars (he crewed the car that won the 24 a couple years ago so he knows what he's doing). The new conventional wisdom is to run front springs as stiff as the rear or stiffer. My mechanic says to give the car what it wants.

In my instance this is not a proven theory yet ... just an experiment. If it doesn't pan out I can swap for a different set of JIC springs for $320.00.

As far as what I would have spent an additional $5K on ... probably lot's of ERP suspension pieces.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:46 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, the 997 Cups come w/ matching main springs, or damn close (I think they are the same)....our cars are different beasts, but I think it will stilll work well. I went from 750/900 to 900/750 and am trying 800/800 this season. I am also building my car for PCA G racing.....someday (edit, 2040! lol).

Last edited by forklift; 01-26-2008 at 01:04 AM.

Quick Reply: $20K Rebuild/Refresh/Upgrade = New Car