Need advise on 1st porsche search

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM
need a 993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on 1st porsche search

Hi all,

As you can see from my username- I need a 993.

Quick background- I've bought an '01 Miata several years ago to learn how to become a better driver. It is absolutely a blast on track days. But my heart has always been set on a 911- specifically a 993. Now I have the funds available and more importantly, I got the OK from the wife.

I've been reading and learning from this forum over the past few months.

I'm pretty good at evaluating cars in general, but feel lost when it comes to evaluating 993's. I'm looking for a daily driver- not a garage queen. Open to C2S or C4S.

How should I be going about my search?

Private party vs dealer?
Is it better to find a car from the South?
Ebay? Cars.com? Autotrader?

I was really hoping to find something from a Rennlister/ enthusiast.

Sorry for the meandering thought process/ questions, but the bottom line is ---
I really want a good 993, able and willing to pay fair price but don't know how to go about finding one.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I put this together when I was looking: http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_sources.html
Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 AM
samsnead
Pro

http://www.rallystuff.com/pcar_sources.html
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're gonna need all of the above resources. The real "decision" will be if you'll be willing to buy out of state. You'll whine and grumble then we'll all jump on you and say "DO IT!!" Do a search for "neutrotic seller" do learn about how this process should (and shouldn't!) work.

Good luck. You're in the best place in the world for this journey!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my first 911 locally (just lucked into it), but my new 993 came from out of state. Both the buyer and seller have to be patient and cooperative for it to work out well, but if the stars align, and the PPI checks out, it's not too bad.

The most nerve racking part was flying up to pick the car up having not seen it before and with one-way tickets.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 AM
samsnead
Pro

Since you live in NYC take a drive down to Holt's, it will give you an idea of what your options are plus Tim is a good guy to talk to.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:02 PM
1990-964
Pro

Hello,

Above all be patient. Do get a PPI done without exception unless you know the car from the day it rolled off the dealer lot!!! If a perspective car looks good and the seller does not have anything to hide then proceed. The jokers who will not let you inspect the car usually have things to hide. These cars are a joy to own but can get really expensive. Research, research, research, learn all you can about these particular models and be fully armed with information. This should help your first P-car purchase be a great one. Good Luck!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
KrisKringle
Helo Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 120 Posts

sign up for the PCA quest program. You'll get Panorama mag for 6 months and will have online access to "the mart".
Money well spent.

check out this thread too, looks like a great deal:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/405142-fs-96-c4s.html
Old 01-24-2008, 01:22 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

Patience....
Old 01-24-2008, 01:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get clear on model, color, options that you have to have and be prepared to travel. I wouldn't/couldn't buy a car without seeing it first and getting a PPI. The people on this board can help with reputable shops in most areas. I would also get a list of std screening questions prior to spending time and money traveling ie oil consumption, accidents, number of owners, maintenance records, what work is needed, willingness to have the car PPI'd/lead down tested, etc.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990-964
Hello,

Above all be patient. Do get a PPI done without exception unless you know the car from the day it rolled off the dealer lot!!! If a perspective car looks good and the seller does not have anything to hide then proceed. The jokers who will not let you inspect the car usually have things to hide. These cars are a joy to own but can get really expensive. Research, research, research, learn all you can about these particular models and be fully armed with information. This should help your first P-car purchase be a great one. Good Luck!!
Originally Posted by JasonVW
Patience....

+1 no, +1000

Need a 993,
you are beginning a journey to a new and amazing place (Porscheland!!!). No need to rush into it. Even after owning other Porsches, looking for my 993 I spent over a year looking, reading RL, reading books, the web, looking at cars I thought were junk and those that I couldn't afford. All to narrow down what I wanted and what I was getting into (this ain't a cheap vehicle).

Enjoy the ride!
Keith
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

investigate what options are available and decide what you must have, and or just want.

just about all 993s will come with a sunroof at least the coupes will.
do you want LSD? Aluminum ebrake/shifter?
is color more important than options?

Have fun, the journey is part of the fun!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonVW
Patience....
+1

Pick a feature or two that are most important to you
i.e. color combo, low mileage, mods, etc...
and stick with it.

The right model will come along someday, so don't settle.
It's a big investment, and when you're pouring money in for repairs or upgrades, you'll want to at least be comfortable knowing you have the car you've always wanted.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you've seen/inspected as many 993's as possible...preferably in all different conditions. This will give you a great baseline when you are serious about a car.

Better yet...hook up with a r-lister that is close by. Buy them a beer and listen to their experience with the car. Most of us first time 993 buyers (myself included) know A LOT more after owning the car then we did when we were just reading about them.

Finally, be ready to pull the trigger on the right one. I started to look for my "dream" car and figured it would take up to a year or more to find the exact car with the exact specs I was looking for (and at the right price of course). I ended up finding my car after 3 weeks of looking on its first day on cars.com and was driving home in it less than 10 days later!

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:25 AM
need a 993
Instructor

Hi,

OP here.

This is the kind of advice I needed. Thanks for all the suggestions. I will do my best to exercise patience as most have suggested.

Also, if anyone comes across anything interesting, feel free to PM.

Quick Reply: Need advise on 1st porsche search