993 Forum 1995-1998

LWF and upgraded clutch installed - HIGHLY recommend

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:28 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking LWF and upgraded clutch installed - HIGHLY recommend

I know it has been said before and it will be said again, but if you are thinking about replacing your clutch or it is on the way out get the LWF upgrade!!

VB gave me a great deal on parts and labor and I am now the happy owner of a LWF and upgraded clutch in my 96 C4. The engine response above 3K rpm is vastly improved and above 4K, it just runs like a scalded *** ape all the way to red line. The car feels more energetic and I'm having an even harder time now keeping my right foot from punching the gas all the time. I did pick up a little bit a gear/clutch rattle with the clutch out in neutral and a bit of additional gear noise between 1K and 2K rpm. Both of which I expected and both are normal. It is a very small price to pay and becomes a non issue once underway. The performance far offsets the very slight increase in noise.

While we were there, the slave cylinder was replaced, the oil in the differential and transmission was replaced, and both lower control arms for the rear suspension were replaced (not expecting that one, but they were shot). I've attached a few photos for viewing pleasure. As a side benefit, the clutch pedal travel is now butter smooth again and requires less effort than before.

Thanks to VB and his team at Vortex for the outstanding service!! My mechanic Rick was superb!! He went out of his way to get the job done right in the minimum amount of time. As you can tell I'm a very satisfied customer.
Attached Images       
Old 01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
zoaatc11
Instructor

thats next on my list...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by zoaatc11
thats next on my list...
+1

Still waiting on my quote from VB (parts)

What was the install $$ I'm getting quotes all over the map here in ATL...
Old 01-23-2008, 10:54 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by hyphenf15
The engine response above 3K rpm is vastly improved and above 4K, it just runs like a scalded *** ape all the way to red line. The car feels more energetic and I'm having an even harder time now keeping my right foot from punching the gas all the time.
You mean in neutral, right? Because the reduced weight in the flywheel should make very little difference in the acceleration of the car. I believe the difference in acceleration would be similar if you had lighter wheels: less mass to spin. Relative to the mass of the car and all the other spinning bits that need to be accelerated, the reduction in flywheel mass is peanuts.

I had a LWF in a previous car (Passat G60 syncro) many years ago and it made the shifts a lot faster and funner, but there was no performance improvement once in gear. It sure did feel nice though.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:43 PM
911XTC
Advanced

I just did the same. Have the same car too. Love the LWF! Love the extra noise. I currently have my rear interior trim panel removed (stereo work in progress) and it makes it even louder inside. Sounds great to me. I might forget about the stereo mods altogether.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:08 AM
hyphenf15
Pro

I paid for 7.5 hours of time at Bob's shop. Obviously shop rate per hour will drive the ultimate charge. Mine was just under $750 for labor. That was working a C4 with no engine drop and the 2 new arms. Rick was the bomb and he worked his butt off to get the swap done in a day based on my needs.

I really think the acceleration is improved and the engine feels more responsive in gear and not just in neutral. I'm very happy with the upgrade and hopefully another 100K miles before the next clutch job.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:00 AM
jhale
Pro

I have been on the fence for this mod for quite some time. The only thing holding me back is the stalling issue with the '95's which appear to be hit or miss anyway. Any Denver RL'ers with this mod who had the install done locally?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:03 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhale
I have been on the fence for this mod for quite some time. The only thing holding me back is the stalling issue with the '95's which appear to be hit or miss anyway. Any Denver RL'ers with this mod who had the install done locally?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:04 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Welcome to the club....I had mine done 2 years ago and I still love it just as much.....if you are on the fence.....just do it
Old 01-24-2008, 06:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Did you go with the RS package? It's on my list, but I can't replace mine, until the stocker is going out.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

RS package and upgraded clutch from VB.

Quick Reply: LWF and upgraded clutch installed - HIGHLY recommend