Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RS Speedlines - Damn!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I don't know if this helps or not.

These are pictures of my original 94 speedlines off my turbo. As you can see there are several markings on the back side the RS wheels will differ slightly. The manufacture date is for the casting not the wheel itself. The date is the one with the boxes and shows the month and year the casting was made. These pieces could have been assembled later.

Now the RS wheels are a bit more confusing than the Turbo/Turbo S speedlines.

There are several different versions. The RS style part numbers 993.362.136.81
993.362.140.81 for 8 and 10" widths

There is a magnesium centered version used on the cup cars 993.362.???.??
993.362.???.?? I know of a set here in the US but don't have the part numbers
Same as RS version

The GT2 version which are 9 and 11 inch widths 993.362.13.881

You can tell the difference between the RS and the magnesium cup version from the back side without part number the RS version will have an alloy marking that will read something like AL Si 7%Mg showing a high Silicon magnesium content aluminum alloy center the Magnesium Cup I do not know what it will say but it should show either Magnesium someplace or Mg as the first element of the alloy.
Attached Images   
Old 01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Guys, I don't know where you get the idea that speedlines were not made for wide bodied cars.
Surely they were standard equipment for the 993 GT2?
front were 9j with Et 34 and rears 11j with Et 18.
They had a magnesium centre instead of the heavy alloy version of the RS.

If you look on here, http://shop.fvd.de/ under the wheels section, they have individual speedline rim and wheel parts available....

I don't have time to search now, but there is a good chance they have wide rims avaiable....they certainly had the narrow bodied rims last time I looked.
I don't believe the GT2 9 & 11's were magnesium centered only the cup wheels but I have access to someone who has a set and will see if I can get any info although the GT2 wheels were 9 & 11 width and hard to come by.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 AM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cobalt, I am quite sure the GT2 were mag centre....firstly, I have held one against a "heavy" RS centre or comparison...secondly I am aware of a few owners here in the UK who have suffered cracked mag centres on the GT2.

The cup wheel centres were magnesium using a centre lock, the wheel bolt casts were left undrilled, wgere as on the Gt3 (road version) they were drilled out as per the RS...maybe that is part of the reason the GT2 mag centres crack?

Of course as I am in the UK and this is a US based website I do appreciate my posts above may be completely pointless
Old 01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by clubsport1
Cobalt, I am quite sure the GT2 were mag centre....firstly, I have held one against a "heavy" RS centre or comparison...secondly I am aware of a few owners here in the UK who have suffered cracked mag centres on the GT2.

The cup wheel centres were magnesium using a centre lock, the wheel bolt casts were left undrilled, wgere as on the Gt3 (road version) they were drilled out as per the RS...maybe that is part of the reason the GT2 mag centres crack?

Of course as I am in the UK and this is a US based website I do appreciate my posts above may be completely pointless
Nope what you say makes sense.

I didn't check weights which prove they must be mag centered.

The stock RS wheels are considerably heavier than the 94 turbo speedlines the GT2 wheels are 1" wider and lighter. the RS wheels aluminum alloy center weigh in at 27.5 and 29.7 pounds respectively as where the Gt2 weigh in at 22.6 and 23.98 pounds for a wider wheel.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
FLA997
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is all great info...the saga of the Speedlines is never-ending it seems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RS Speedlines - Damn!