Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

More Alcantara Interior work - pics

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking More Alcantara Interior work - pics

Follow on from this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

And I like the steering wheel in Alcantara and deviated silver stitching so I decided to match the shifter/boot and eBrake handle. Then I thought maybe the eBrake tray would look good with the same stuff.
Results are below.

A couple of notes: I really like the aluminum/leather shifter that was in the car and will eventually get that recovered. Trouble is I cannot get the dang thing apart. I figured there must be a screw or something on the underside of the ****, no luck there. It MUST come apart! Oh well... another day.

Anyhow, I gave up on that for now and went with the **** off of the 997GT3 (only $97 at Sunset Imports! with the boot). To make that work I needed:
- A donor boot from a 964/993 for the base ring and pattern
- Had to recover the **** in Alcantara (color was lighter on the OE)
- An aluminum shift insert (to replace the PLASTIC! GT3 insert which was "Space Grey")
- Modified the GT3 **** to accept the insert (OD on GT3 insert is slightly larger, added padding to get a tight fit)
- Modified Aluminum insert to fit GT3 **** (had to notch underside)
- I used large heat shrink tubing to "sleeve" the shift lever and make the **** fit tight. 2 layers of the tubing.

I think I need to paint the shift pattern black to match the eBrake. Any ideas on an easy way to do that would be appreciated!

Note: in the profile shot of the **** I just noticed I didn't have the boot pulled down all of the way (where it meet the ****).

I think that is about it.
At this point, I think I am done with the interior... except maybe aluminum guage rings and aluminum door pulls from Rennline. Not sure on either yet.

The work was done by Don at Dallas Custom Steering Wheels (no affiliation) and he is really reasonable and has a very quick turn around time on this stuff. There are a few folks here who have used him recently (Glen aka ninjabones is one).
Attached Images     
Old 01-19-2008, 06:25 PM
md11plt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I would try a Sharpie. Then take a rag with some alcohol on it to wipe off the ink from the high spots.

Looks nice!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Looks very good. "Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a shift ****..."
Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 228 Posts

Mark,
That looks awesome! The lengths we'll go to for a small detail.....

If the engraving is fairly shallow, a Sharpie should indeed work. Otherwise, spray some black paint into a cup and use a toothpick to dribble the paint into the recess.

Andreas
Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I painted mine with guards red touch up paint. First I buffed the silver paint off to reveal a rough but shiny silver coating, then I over filled the #'s with paint and gently wiped off the excess before the paint had time to soak in. Looks pretty cool (IMO)

sorry no pics of it on this computer
Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Mark,
That looks awesome! The lengths we'll go to for a small detail.....

If the engraving is fairly shallow, a Sharpie should indeed work. Otherwise, spray some black paint into a cup and use a toothpick to dribble the paint into the recess.

Andreas
Thanks!

The sharpie idea probably wouldn't work with this since it is recessed a bit... and black sharpies seem to turn blue-ish over time I think.
Using a toothpick to drip paint is good... better than trying to paint that thing freehand. In any case, I think cleanup would be pretty easy as md11plt suggested.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:55 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any good source for bulk alcantara material. I have some ideas. muahhahaha.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Mark -- stop it!! No more pictures!!!

Stop giving me more ways to spend money that I dont need to spend

MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993inNC
I painted mine with guards red touch up paint. First I buffed the silver paint off to reveal a rough but shiny silver coating, then I over filled the #'s with paint and gently wiped off the excess before the paint had time to soak in. Looks pretty cool (IMO)

sorry no pics of it on this computer
hmm... I wonder if this insert has a paint on it? It seems to be the same finish all around but if there was paint I'd need to nix the idea of cleanup with a thinner. That could be a problem.
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ag02M5
Any good source for bulk alcantara material. I have some ideas. muahhahaha.
headliner?
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

car cover?
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Mark -- stop it!! No more pictures!!!

Stop giving me more ways to spend money that I dont need to spend

I'm sure you will have plenty of your own. I REALLY hope yours works out!

Originally Posted by chris walrod
car cover?
LOL
Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crap, I have cashmere interior. How big of a negative is changing to black. This is what I want.

I did just snag the rear-seat-delete on ebay in cashmere so maybe I will keep it cashmere.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

I have been in close contact with Don from Dallas. Your pieces turned out great. I love the ebrake tray. Very nice touch. I am slowly converting the 12 year old midnight blue interior to black and alcantara. I am spending more money than I intended on the interior, but I am addicted to alcantara and want to freshen up the look of the 993 interior. I am finishing up on the RS carpet and will begin dying parts black and recovering parts in alcantara. I plan to go a little more nuts than you did mainly because I am converting to black and every part I look to dye black, I opt to cover in alcantara, because it's just so cool looking. Someone mentioned headliner; I am looking forward to replace my midnight blue. I will be ordering one in alcantara soon. I am just a little nervous thinking about the installation. Alcantara goes for about $100 per yard and can be ordered in rolls for the DIY'ers. I will be covering the easy stuff myself and save the stitch work for the professionals.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:10 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ava6603
Mark,

I have been in close contact with Don from Dallas. Your pieces turned out great. I love the ebrake tray. Very nice touch. I am slowly converting the 12 year old midnight blue interior to black and alcantara. I am spending more money than I intended on the interior, but I am addicted to alcantara and want to freshen up the look of the 993 interior. I am finishing up on the RS carpet and will begin dying parts black and recovering parts in alcantara. I plan to go a little more nuts than you did mainly because I am converting to black and every part I look to dye black, I opt to cover in alcantara, because it's just so cool looking. Someone mentioned headliner; I am looking forward to replace my midnight blue. I will be ordering one in alcantara soon. I am just a little nervous thinking about the installation. Alcantara goes for about $100 per yard and can be ordered in rolls for the DIY'ers. I will be covering the easy stuff myself and save the stitch work for the professionals.
Al, I agree, Alcantara is pretty cool stuff. I really like the feel on the wheel and shifter. Nice. If I were converting from one color to another I'd probably go a lot further too! Good luck with the project and please be sure to post some pics. Document the project so we can all drool

My only worry with Alcantara is keeping it clean. It is a dust magnet and every little spec seems to show up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Alcantara Interior work - pics