Thoughts on Leaving Oil cooler fan permanently on Hi

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Anyone have a link to the graph referred to by Bull ??
And, how cool is too cool ??
(I run aux oil coolers in both 993's)

Jack
A version of it can be seen here
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
The extra cooler is not to get the car to "run cooler all the time" -- it's to prevent the motor from being completely overheated due to the inadequate factory cooling setup.
Yes, but my point is, if you add the second cooler for the track, the oil runs cooler all the time, whether you are on the track or not, because you've greatly increased the efficiency of the oil cooling -- like you do if you run the oil cooler fan on high all the time. Which is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
A version of it can be seen here
Thanks Bill, that is similar to the one I was thinking of.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
Yes, but my point is, if you add the second cooler for the track, the oil runs cooler all the time, whether you are on the track or not, because you've greatly increased the efficiency of the oil cooling -- like you do if you run the oil cooler fan on high all the time. Which is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
A properly functioning thermostat will prevent the car from running with the oil "too cool", as some are concerned about, while a second cooler (or manual high-speed fan switch) will prevent the engine from running overly warm. Both are good solutions, although much different in complexity and cost of implementation.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
In a thermostaticly controlled system as used in a 993 the second cooler just allows the oil to run above but still closer to the set point of the system which is 83*C(181.4*F) more of the time.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Leaving Oil cooler fan permanently on Hi