Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

just got my speedo back

Old 01-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Brian F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got my speedo back

Last July I finally realized a long standing dream to own a proper Porsche. I was lucky enough to find a well documented, meticulously maintained southwestern US C2 for sale on this site owned by a long time Porsche enthusiast and Rennlist member. The good news was that the tasteful cosmetic mods were already done along with the suspension upgrades, lowering, corner balancing, all professionally complete. The bad news was that there was little left for me to do but drive and enjoy. One irritant always in front of me while I drove was the cloudy, marred, and scratched plastic face of the speedometer set in amongst the rest of those gorgeous gauges. A little searching produced the solution of a glass lens replacement offered by North Hollywood Speedometer (no affiliation). After following easy removal tips and a phone call to NHS off it went via 2nd day shipping. One week to the day it was back better than new for only $40. I would highly recommend these folks. One question I have is that some sort of lubricant appears to have been applied to the rubber gasket/collar around the body of the speedo to ease installation during manufacturing. I would like to do the same but am wary of petroleum products effect on rubber. Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Brian,
I've heard that a bit of soapy water applied to the gasket right before install should allow it to slip into place.

I look forward to doing the same 'upgrade' and have had fantastic service from NHS on many occasions.

Andreas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just got my speedo back