993 Forum 1995-1998

Ok, here she is! My first Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 08:46 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Bill, the wooden ramp is there because I have a sissor lift under the car. So in order to park a car above the sissor lift I need a 4 inch clearance.
Which sissor lift did you go with Robin? I am in need of one for the track garage and could use recommendations...

BTW -thanks for providing all of this detail about F-Cars...

-Blake
Old 01-12-2008, 08:57 PM
RS 197
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice Spider...Congrats... I will be anxious to see how you like it...

For all of you 993 /964 guys that think you would like to own an F car.... Think agian.

I bought one about 3 months ago. I have been driving it daily. Rain or shine. The car is cool, people look at you and take pictures, but it is no Porsche...

I drove the RS America and the 993 Cab today. As far as driving experience I would not trade either for an F car....

For me it comes down to one thing.. Laying down the power. You have to wait until you are pointed staight to get the power on.. I will guarantee you my RS America would whip a 360 around the track. the Porsche cars with all that weight in the rear allows you to get on the thottle way earlier. You cannot effectivly use the massive torque that the 360 has. The gear box is junk and the brakes feel funny. ( Mine might not be working properly ) . The traction control shuts down the car like a M3. I feel way more comfortable throwing around the 911. The 360 handles well but feels like it will snap oversteer very easily.

Yes they are fun to look at and fun to drive but they are no Porsche...
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RS 197
Very nice Spider...Congrats... I will be anxious to see how you like it...

For all of you 993 /964 guys that think you would like to own an F car.... Think agian.

I bought one about 3 months ago. I have been driving it daily. Rain or shine. The car is cool, people look at you and take pictures, but it is no Porsche...

I drove the RS America and the 993 Cab today. As far as driving experience I would not trade either for an F car....

For me it comes down to one thing.. Laying down the power. You have to wait until you are pointed staight to get the power on.. I will guarantee you my RS America would whip a 360 around the track. the Porsche cars with all that weight in the rear allows you to get on the thottle way earlier. You cannot effectivly use the massive torque that the 360 has. The gear box is junk and the brakes feel funny. ( Mine might not be working properly ) . The traction control shuts down the car like a M3. I feel way more comfortable throwing around the 911. The 360 handles well but feels like it will snap oversteer very easily.

Yes they are fun to look at and fun to drive but they are no Porsche...
You know the funny thing is, that I pretty much agree with what you are saying!!!!

So far I have only had my 360 for few days, today every few hours I have been taken her out for a drive trying different things, pushing here and there a little harder and harder.

Coming into the turn, I heel and toe blip the throttle to get it in 2nd, and then put down the power all the sudden lost all power, ASR light flashing like nobody's business. Once the car have straghten up, power back on. First I thought it was because the tires were cold, but after repeated attemps.... Damn you were right, you can't put any power down on the 360, not like what we can do with our 911s.

The gear box is SLOW.... I have to wait.. Can't just shift, go, shift, go. Normal town driving no problem, but the second I decide to excercise the engine's power damn gear box is just lagging behind, can't get it in gear quick enough for a seamless power delivery.

Suspension, and I thought Ferrari were suppose to handle great. Maybe they do, but they certainly don't do it with a manner that gives the driver confidence. At higher speed turns the uneasy feeling is actually quit similiar to the 993s, the front end feels extrememly light and floating. Regardless if I have the 360 set on the sports mode or not. Now, I fully understand why when the 996C4 came out it was named the best handling car in the world. I have been spoiled with my DAILY DRIVER!

I was just saying to myself today that if I run into a 360 on the road with my c4, I would be very confident to smoke it in spirited mountain roads.

But my experience with the brakes so is very good, stops better than both of my Porsches. Probably has to do with the pads, which explains they wear out so quickly.

Other than that... The Ferrari cool factor just can't be matched by any p-car (except the Carrera GT, but certainly not at $150k price range). Let's face it Porsches have unintentionally followed the VW bug concept. A mass produced affordable, reliable car for the masses. And that's what a Porsche have become. IMHO Porsches lost their curbe appeal, it has been years since anyone actually even took a look at my 911 and told me "nice car". In the matter of few days of owning a Ferrari I have stopped counting how many times I have heard someone say "Nice car" to me.

Sound.... MAN! Some of you guys call me the muffler man, so you understand natually I am picky about the sound of the exhaust. Man, the sound of a Ferrari will make you CRAZY! I can't get enough, that's one of the reason I have been taking her out every couple hours just so I can hear the sound! It is just amazing, a sound that I always wished my Porsches made.

More to come....
Old 01-12-2008, 09:37 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gear box is SLOW.... I have to wait.. Can't just shift, go, shift, go. Normal town driving no problem, but the second I decide to excercise the engine's power damn gear box is just lagging behind, can't get it in gear quick enough for a seamless power delivery.
Robin,

I was just talking to a fellow TT owner today, and he said he had problems shifting quickly after running too light of a (synthetic) transmission oil. When he would clutch, the shafts would not stop spinning fast enough, making shifting difficult and slow.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

The gear box design in the Ferrari and Porsche are very different. Ferrari fixed the gear box issue with the F430.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gear box design in the Ferrari and Porsche are very different. Ferrari fixed the gear box issue with the F430.
Seems like the oil thing is a more "universal" issue, but I assume you did your homework well enough to know that your shifting is normal for these cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:15 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice work of art! Congrats.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 AM
gr8nine93
Instructor

That's a beauty, but is it the one you have to drop the motor. and most of the rear suspension every time you need to replace the timing belt at 30K miles?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by gr8nine93
That's a beauty, but is it the one you have to drop the motor. and most of the rear suspension every time you need to replace the timing belt at 30K miles?

nope. That's all the prior models.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did I already say "gorgeous"?
Old 01-13-2008, 11:21 AM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 153 Posts

I think you will find the 360 to be more sports car than the porsche after you become familiar with it. You have many thousands of hours in porsches. I still like my 993 but it in no way kept up with my 360 much less my 430.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 PM
JimBob Jumpback
That's Bubba Guru to you

dont' be frettin bout the exspinsive partzz un such der bubba robbin. ol jimbobby dun got a biiiggg role of furrarri red duck tape dat will fix yer fcar jus rite!

yer fren,

jimbob Jumpback
Old 01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

LOL!!!!!!!!

BTW - quite the post count you have there JimBob..???

JD
Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimBob Jumpback
dont' be frettin bout the exspinsive partzz un such der bubba robbin. ol jimbobby dun got a biiiggg role of furrarri red duck tape dat will fix yer fcar jus rite!

yer fren,

jimbob Jumpback
jimbob,

jist red yur 435325 posts. I tuke a internet speadwritting corse. ur mackin sume cents hear. jist whish the forum wood katchup to ur idears. this johnd felar seams alwright, but not a clue. u now what i meen.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:55 PM
banzai993
Racer

LOL sims lik dis her thred dun takin a crukd path turd the firey pits of Hail!

Quick Reply: Ok, here she is! My first Ferrari