Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Drop link issues after 500 miles (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/402451-drop-link-issues-after-500-miles.html)

993 4S 01-09-2008 10:11 PM

Drop link issues after 500 miles

With just 500 miles of use with the M030 suspension on my father's 993tt, one front drop links is shot--the majority of the black rubber ball has popped out of the green seal on one side. First off, I realize these drop links are shorter than stock, but I couldn't find just individual drop links for sale on Gert's website (carnewal). Do I have to contact Bilstein and try to give them a part nubmer, or is there a shop or smaller parts distributor I can get these from?

Secondly, I'm not going to try to guess as to why it lasted only 500 miles (improperly installed, defective, etc.), but I'm wondering if there's a stronger alternative than the Bilstein ones. I've seen adjustable drop links that look much beefier, but is there any real advantage to them other than the fact that they're adjustable? Finally, this might be a stupid question, would locking collars have been included in Gert's M030 package? If not, are they something that decreases the chance of the drop links failing?

Sorry for the long post, any help is appreciated!

Marlon 01-09-2008 10:32 PM

:corn:

96C4S 01-09-2008 11:43 PM

I think its a installation issue imho.

Dr. No 01-10-2008 03:19 AM

Search, baby. Locking collars are not included in the kit. You can get the links from Gert, just email him. It was probably the installation, especially after 500 miles. Make sure you don't have a bent control arm while you're in there.

dhicks 01-10-2008 08:20 AM

When on the ground and under full load the top and bottom of the link needs to be in the same plane of alignment......my bet is that when yours were fitted on the jacks they looked fine, but when the car was lowered back onto the ground they ahve twisted out of alignment and as such they wear with every movement......just my guess....make sure that when you refit new ones you check the alignment when on ground

Garth S 01-10-2008 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 993 4S (Post 4966052)
With just 500 miles of use with the M030 suspension on my father's 993tt, one front drop links is shot--the majority of the black rubber ball has popped out of the green seal on one side.

....., would locking collars have been included ....?

If not, are they something that decreases the chance of the drop links failing?

Possible that you mean reardrop links?

The predominant issues leading to failure are off vertical installation of the link and/or rotation of the link mount on the shock.
If so, the pic is attached for reference: the Bilstein drop link is robust enough IMHO .... but must be installed such that it is absolutely vertical when the car is resting on ots wheels. The angle seen in the pic is due to the suspension 'droop' when on a hoist .... ie - the link is installed off angle such that it is vertical when the suspension is loaded: if done in reverse, the link may have a short life ....

Two extra locking collars are ~$20, but the entire works must come apart to fit them ( see the lower black ring): while I fitted extra rings, many have only used one and never had the mount move on the shock body.