Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Looking at the LR3 (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/402238-looking-at-the-lr3.html)

luv2ride 01-08-2008 09:03 PM

Looking at the LR3

any 993'rs here have the land rover LR3. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated? I'm thinking of trading my montero for an 07LR3. I'm ready to pull the trigger. :)
Ryan

David A 01-08-2008 09:19 PM

It's based on the Ford Escape.Get that & save money.

Sapper 01-08-2008 09:23 PM

Looked at them a while back, ended up getting a used Range Rover HSE (the HSE was cheaper). They have some maintenance problems, but if you have had Porsches, then you are no stranger to expensive maintenance.

jnx 01-08-2008 09:26 PM

I was contemplating one but I think the BMW X3 is nicer.

samsnead 01-08-2008 09:30 PM

Nearly every person I know who has had one has complained about the maintenance cost/reliability.

Harvey Yancey 01-08-2008 09:32 PM

According to Consumer Reports the reliability is pretty bad on the LR3.

Reliability on the X5 is better.

Paddy 01-08-2008 09:37 PM

RUN LIKE HELL! My officemate has one and it's complete bucket of bolts. I have a 98 RR HSE and it has been pretty reliable. It has a few issues here and there, but overall it gets the job done and has been a good tow vehicle. The LR3 isn't worth the money. If I were in your shoes I would look/buy a 2003-2004 RR HSE- BMW 7 series motor & trans.

luv2ride 01-08-2008 10:23 PM

wow. so far I'm not feeling it. My Montero has got 115k and I just replaced the front wheel bearings, breaks and it will soon need new tires. That's it. From what I've read the LR3 go through tires every 20k. I know why ----------------->

Nearly every person I know who has had one has complained about the maintenance cost/reliability.
Although when the salesmen took me for a ride over their DEMO rock mound I have to admit I was a bit excited.

blake 01-08-2008 10:52 PM

I owned an LR Disco II from '99 to '02. I loved it. Awesome car in the snow. Sure, it has some problems - but nothing major. I think the trick to owning Land Rovers is making certain that they are under warranty.

Personaly, I have been looking at the RR & LR3 b/c of their phenomenal performance in deep snow. My wife really wants the MB GL450 because of the cargo room. We have an X3 right now, and it is a great little car (3 series chassis with AWD). We need to upgrade to an SUV that can tow (Porsches) AND provide more ground clearance in the snow AND haul a ton of our luggage on trips. The X5 is also a nice option, but doesn't meet all three conditions.

Good luck with your search.
-B ;)

gregeast 01-08-2008 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by David A (Post 4961778)
It's based on the Ford Escape.Get that & save money.

You're thinking LR2, not LR3. We have a new LR2 and love it, much nicer on the inside than an Escape, but to each his own.

Mark in Baltimore 01-08-2008 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by 94Speedster (Post 4962151)
I owned an LR Disco II from '99 to '02. I loved it. Awesome car in the snow. Sure, it has some problems - but nothing major. I think the trick to owning Land Rovers is making certain that they are under warranty.

Sorry, IMHO, a requirement that a car be under warranty to love owning it hardly sounds like a reason to love the vehicle. I guess I'm just odd in that I want my cars to be reliable and last outside of the warranty period. I simply cannot love an unreliable car, no matter how high its other virtues.

doberdog 01-09-2008 12:01 AM

Try the new Saturn Vue XR with the 3.6 litre motor. Like an inexpensive X3.

c4consult 01-09-2008 12:32 AM

i have a discovery 2 2004 for one year now and it is my favorite car i have ever owned. I can pass anything on the road except a gas station. But i love the car.same milage as my 95 ruf btr.

texas911 01-09-2008 01:05 AM

Lot's of second and third had reports here so I'll give my first hand report. I had an LR3 for a year before trading it in for a Range Rover Sport S/C. Loved the utility and big box design. It was a big departure from the LR Discovery II that I had. It was smooth and quiet as a luxury sedan, astonishingly so. But the big brute handled, well, like a truck. Don't get me wrong, it handled better than the Disco, but it was so smooth and quiet that you'd take turns at high speeds without knowing it. Lots of body roll and the steering was slow. Not sporty at all.

I think LR made this a conscience decision to steer people to the more expensive RRS (the RRS now outsells the LR3 in the US), which is basically the same car, with a different body. The RRS handles much better on road and basically the same off road, which means, very very competently. Mine did have first year minor problems, all resolved under warranty. Never left me stranded. I frequent the LR board, and LR seems to have fixed the early problems. The LR3 has been out 4 years now. Steady progress and all. And maintenance, whoever said the cost was high must not be from the US as its included during the warranty period.

So if you're looking at the LR3, and don't need the third row seat, look at getting the RRS.

95 C4 993 01-09-2008 01:08 AM

How about a 77 Bronco Ryan?

My girlfriend just got the Mazda CX7. It has some spunk for a 4 banger 244hp turbocharged Midsized SUV. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM..........ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!

I like the Mazda CX9 to.

The body style and power are what are attractive in their classes---CX7.