Notices

Tip steering wheel removal

Old 01-07-2008, 01:09 PM
pjc
User

Cool Tip steering wheel removal

Have a '95 Tip and the bulb has blown in the computer read out. Because of the length of the tacho fitted with the computer it cannot be removed without removing the steering wheel (I have tried having removing the plastic casing behind the steering wheel but it still won't come out). Replacing the bulb is a simply job, my questions all relate to removing the steering wheel and are:

1. Assume I disconnect the battery and leave overnight then I will not have a
airbag 'light on' problem as others seem to have had?

2. To remove the airbag I assume I need to remove the two screws on the
back of the steering wheel?

3. In the workshop manual there is only reference to removal of a manual steering whel with no reference to removal of a wheel with Tip controls - once the airbag is removed is it aa straight forward as disconnecting a few wires (horn, airbag,Tip controls) or is there more to it?

PJC
Any helpful advice welcome.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:39 AM
guards red
User

Can you not remove the speedo, reach through the hole and change the bulb that way? The picture of the rear end of a tacho my make this task possible?

I have removed the steering on a non tip wheel, just make sure you disconnect the battery for about ten minutes to allow for the system to fully discharge. The airbag is removed using a t30 torx bit through the two hole at the back you refer to. I assume that the tip wheel will have connectors on the wheel to allow it's removal.

One other thing to make sure of is to mark the wheel to the hub to allow alignment and take car with the airbag connector. Piece of cake really.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:41 PM
pjc
User

Unfortunately the Porsche Tech note (found on the forum) says 'remove tacho, unplug, remove casing then change bulbs' so don't think replacement in situe is possible - but thanks for the info on a manual remove - seems like I just have to be careful regarding Tip connector - rest, as you say, should be the same.

Thanks for the reply - I was beginning to think I was in the wilderness!

PJC
Old 01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

PJC: I'd suggest turning the wheel 90 degrees to lock before taking it off. It is also easier to get to the screws at 90 degrees. When you take it off at lock, it is easier to make sure it is aligned when you put it back on. Otherwise it's sorts trial and error.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: