993 Forum 1995-1998

964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:40 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by milutintin
Does anybody replace the locknuts with new ones as specified in the manual when re-installing the control arms?

Thanks
No for me.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:28 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone compared these to Elephant Racing and Rennline Sealed Monoballs? The OP isn't responding to his PM so figure I better look for alternatives.

My car is going into the shop for work this weekend and I want to get the bushing replaced at the same time.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
Cincy_Ron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bavarian06
Has anyone compared these to Elephant Racing and Rennline Sealed Monoballs? The OP isn't responding to his PM so figure I better look for alternatives.

My car is going into the shop for work this weekend and I want to get the bushing replaced at the same time.
Bavarian,

Give the guys at FD Motorsports a call or shoot Darin an email at fdmotorsports@comcast.net

He's really good at communication and returning emails. Here's a link to the page on their website where you can find the Walrod bushings. It's a nice mod.

http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page1694.htm
Old 05-09-2011, 02:33 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

huge difference in performance and price.
monoballs are for track use. not so nice on the street. NVR will be harsh with monoballs.
also, $100ish vs over $1000ish.......
what is your application?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:30 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Could you resend your PM -- I dont show it arriving -- I typically reply within hours.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Could you resend your PM -- I dont show it arriving -- I typically reply within hours.
Ah, the good ole "computer problem" excuse...

Guys, always worths to give Chris a break, unless he's flying over the Atlantic or pacific to some crazy open wheel thing, he rsponds quickly.

Unless it's c/f side skirts you're after...
(Just a little inside joke)
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM
bavarian06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Chris,

Is it possible for me to press the new bushings in or do I need to exchange my control arm as a core? I live locally to you.

Thx
Hi, quoting myself from last week. And I sent a PM a week earlier.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

monoballs will be the must supple and best for track use worst for street use

I don't understand the fervor for p/u bushes, they aren't as good as monoballs for track use and are worse than rubber for street use.

for street and even hard track use I'd use RS rubber bushes
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
I don't understand the fervor for p/u bushes, they aren't as good as monoballs for track use and are worse than rubber for street use.

Bill,
Since I'm looking myself and have been going through this question in my mind, I suspect that pure economics is part of the reason for the "fervor":

Elephant Racing bushings for the front =2*79+2*80 = $318
http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...erbushings.htm
Walrod front arm bushings = $103
http://www.fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page1694.htm

(no affiliation either way...)
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
monoballs will be the must supple and best for track use worst for street use

Perhaps, like most cars that see track use, they are a compromise altogether. I think the full dedicated track car is the minority whereas the street car that see's some track duty is just that, very much a compromise setup that is by in large very common. The poly bushings are something inbetween that track car and street car setup.

The kit solves the typical front control arm dance at a price point that is a fraction of the cost of the replacement RS bushings. Simply put the poly kit works.

With fresh replacement RS bushes installed, hang out with your alignment guy, get under the car and pull on the control arms in a few different directions and watch the front toe readings dance all over the place. I've done it and it's alarming given the lat and long forces that are applied to this system. A system of cavity bushings that are designed to be compliant in the very axis that the automotive enthusiast really doesnt want it to be. One cannot help but think of the toe changes while on the brakes!
Old 05-10-2011, 05:11 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

hello to everyone!

i have a question to Chris and anybody, who has already installed Chris's bushing:

i use my Porsche as a daily driver street car and the quality of the streets are not first choise where i live. My question is, wether the bushes from Chris modify the riding comfort: no, yes, a bit stiffers, much harder, etc..
I already drive with Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 sport shocks, euro height, 18" wheels, so the car is not a US "SUV" spec.

thanks for the answers in advance, reagrds thanks Chris for his wonderfull product

Arpad
Old 05-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

i haven't noticed a ride quality difference. Front end is solid feeling (i.e. no clunking or anything), but it doesn't really ride harder. The front end is so light its not a big issue.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
i haven't noticed a ride quality difference. Front end is solid feeling (i.e. no clunking or anything), but it doesn't really ride harder. The front end is so light its not a big issue.
+1
Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
Just for info Bill, last weekend I visited one of the factories where the original RS bushings were and are still fabricated. I learnt a lot on that day. I was not at TRW but another supplier.
All the elephant parts are shipped from them. Those are exactly the RS bushings they have.
Durometer 85 shores on all RS bushings, 70 on street.
Surprisingly they manufacture all the bushings in street and RS strenght for ALL the 993 chassis
from front wishbone to rear tie rods, side panels, v-arms, everything.
don't know why their agents sell only a few parts.
trying to figure out something for rennlisters and myself, at a good price.
would like to change all the rear rods and arms
I am talking rear suspension, for the front it is Chris' for you guys
Any update on getting access to the rear suspension parts? Maybe the manufacture would let FD Motorsports act as a distributor?
Old 10-25-2011, 05:06 AM
993::hb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front lower control arm bushings -where to buy?

Porsche doesn have them and want to sell me both lower control arms...what is the best solution today for replacement?

Quick Reply: 964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings