Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   964 / 993 Control Arm Bushings (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/401383-964-993-control-arm-bushings.html)

rconnon 04-24-2008 12:29 PM

I got my bushings installed last week and over the weekend / this week put 2500 miles on them on a drive to california - all i can say is WOW - what a difference!!!

Thanks Alot Chris, fantastic upgrade to the front end.

TB993tt 04-24-2008 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by chris walrod (Post 5345212)

I will measure the durometer reading of the standard rubber bushings and report back.

Thank you..... Is there any way we can find out what the difference in the RS bushings are, it would be good to know where yours fit in the deflection scale - does anyone have any spare lying around :)

chris walrod 04-24-2008 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by TB993tt (Post 5345617)
Thank you..... Is there any way we can find out what the difference in the RS bushings are, it would be good to know where yours fit in the deflection scale - does anyone have any spare lying around :)

I dont know what that would be. I do understand the only differences between the RS arm and the standard one is the aft bushings, not so much the forward ones. Bill V has been doing research himself on the subject, maybe he'll chime in.

I will say Urethane will have a higher durometer reading than any rubber used for automotive control arm bushings.

These Urethane bushings read 95 durometer.

chris walrod 04-24-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by RallyJon (Post 5345242)
You mean axial? So with stock bushings the A-arm is allowed to move left and right, but not forward and backward or up and down?

X being longitudinal, Y lateral and Z vertical. These are the only vehicle dynamic axis system I am used to using.

You are correct about the direction of potential movement with the standard bushings.

Father of 3 04-25-2008 08:31 PM

For those of you who have had a shop install Chris' bushings, how much did they charge?

NP993 04-29-2008 01:32 AM

Did the bushings tonight, but haven't had a chance to drive the car -- it's pouring rain out, so I wouldn't get much from a test drive. They fit great.

A couple of pointers on the install:

- The hardest part is pounding out the stock bushing sleeves. Make sure you cut completely through the steel sleeve before attempting to pound them out. And have a BFH, a vice, and a good set of punches and chisels on hand. Reminds me of when I installed monoballs in the trailing arms of my old track 911.

- The control arms will fit on either side -- but they are specific to each side! You've got one on, and you suddenly realize that the ball joint bolt and caster eccentric want to bolt in from the top, instead of the bottom. Ask me how I know. (But then again, I'm a bonehead.) I'll post an update tomorrow when I get a chance to go for a spin.

hyphenf15 05-03-2008 11:01 PM

These bushings rock! Thanks Chris. The front end is tight again and very responsive. We also did struts, sways, and tie rods at the same time. What a difference. Thanks Chris - great product.

Jeff96-993 05-05-2008 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Noah (Post 5360798)
Did the bushings tonight, but haven't had a chance to drive the car -- it's pouring rain out, so I wouldn't get much from a test drive. They fit great.

A couple of pointers on the install:

- The hardest part is pounding out the stock bushing sleeves. Make sure you cut completely through the steel sleeve before attempting to pound them out. And have a BFH, a vice, and a good set of punches and chisels on hand. Reminds me of when I installed monoballs in the trailing arms of my old track 911.

- The control arms will fit on either side -- but they are specific to each side! You've got one on, and you suddenly realize that the ball joint bolt and caster eccentric want to bolt in from the top, instead of the bottom. Ask me how I know. (But then again, I'm a bonehead.) I'll post an update tomorrow when I get a chance to go for a spin.

Hey Noah, that's funny because I did the exact same thing... see my pg 9 post (#127)... item 6 covers it, caused mainly by lack of sleep (it was 2am when I was reassembling)

NP993 05-05-2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff96-993 (Post 5380731)
Hey Noah, that's funny because I did the exact same thing... see my pg 9 post (#127)... item 6 covers it, caused mainly by lack of sleep (it was 2am when I was reassembling)

LOL, I don't have such a good reason...I was just hurrying, and didn't even think to check whether each arm is right or left handed.

BTW, I've driven the car a bunch since doing the bushings...they're great. No more high-speed steering wheel wiggle under braking, and the car's handling feels ever so slightly tighter and more responsive.

Cincy_Ron 05-05-2008 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Noah (Post 5380913)
LOL, I don't have such a good reason...I was just hurrying, and didn't even think to check whether each arm is right or left handed.

BTW, I've driven the car a bunch since doing the bushings...they're great. No more high-speed steering wheel wiggle under braking, and the car's handling feels ever so slightly tighter and more responsive.

Noah, I'm glad to hear the bushing upgrade got rid of the high speed steering wiggle under braking. I have the same issue. I've got the bushings sitting here, I just need to bust a move and get them done!

CarreraX 05-05-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cincy_Ron (Post 5380998)
Noah, I'm glad to hear the bushing upgrade got rid of the high speed steering wiggle under braking. I have the same issue. I've got the bushings sitting here, I just need to bust a move and get them done!

Ron, any of the next few saturdays works for me or you can fedex the arms up here and I will do them and send them back.

AM993 05-13-2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Father of 3 (Post 5351251)
For those of you who have had a shop install Chris' bushings, how much did they charge?

My shop charged for 5 hours labor all-in. All I can say is wow. Not only the steering wheel wiggle under braking is gone (which is why I ordered the bushings in the first place), but the steering is now very tight and more responsive. This is a great mod'/improvement.

chris walrod 05-14-2008 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by AM993 (Post 5410585)
My shop charged for 5 hours labor all-in. All I can say is wow. Not only the steering wheel wiggle under braking is gone (which is why I ordered the bushings in the first place), but the steering is now very tight and more responsive. This is a great mod'/improvement.

Great to hear the good results!

allill 05-14-2008 12:49 AM

Chris,

Those bushings look fantastic!

jaholmes 05-14-2008 03:32 PM

I am getting ready to do my install. But one question. Did anyone use an 11mm or 13mm hex key to get the a-arms off and on. It sounds like you just clamp it down and it won't spin when you torque them down, but what about getting them off. I wouldn't even know where to find those size hex keys.