993 Forum 1995-1998

Rearended the 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Cool You will be in good hands if....you

Go to see Tim Deshler @ Deshler's Collision Repair in Orange, CA. He has done some work for me in the past....most P-Car pushers in the OC know of Deshler's.
www.deshlers.com

1133 W Taft Ave
Orange, CA 92865
(714) 998-9256
Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Avio Coach Craft (no affiliation), a very hi-line body shop in West Los Angeles will do it for about $700. I just had an estimate to fix two nicks caused by the person behind me's front license plate screws.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:27 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about your mishap.
Your estimate may seem high, hopefully you'll be getting what you pay for especially if the shop you select is reputable.
Your bumper once removed, will be cleaned, primed, wet sanded, base color applied, clear coated, color sanded and polished in it's entirety before the damaged components are replaced and the bumper reinstalled. The silver paint will probably require slight tinting in order to match precisely the tone of the rest of your car. The parts may need to be shot a couple of times in order to get the metallic flakes to lay in the right direction. More paint, reducers and supplies. From the photographs it appears that the brow of your fender may need to be cleaned, sanded, primed and blended unless you insist that the shop shoot the entire fender. The amount of work can just ripple on depending on your perception of what is acceptable. I've seen a lot of repairs done by other shops where you can see ever so slight, the sanding marks under the paint left from short cuts in the preparation when I help out on occasion at my friend's restoration shop.
Good Luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:04 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you are getting a bargain: No insurance cost 'jack up' based on you being at fault! I would be pretty happy in your shoes. You are driving a $30K+ car and sniveling over 2G's. Stop complaining and be glad nobody got hurt or your car wasn't more seriously damaged and you got a ticket for distracted driving to boot.

Originally Posted by long_beach_968
So I rearended somebody in the 993 today. The damage is not bad at all so we are not going to go through insurance. My bumper shock took the brute of the force, just a couple scratches and a little divot on the front bumper. The Body shop quoted me $2,040! The most of it is to recondition my current bumper and the guy showed me from his book that they charge $1,100 to recondition a 993 front bumper. That does not sound right, its a f***ing scratch for god sake. Any suggestions?

pics to come in a couple hours.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:31 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marlon
I think you are getting a bargain: No insurance cost 'jack up' based on you being at fault! I would be pretty happy in your shoes. You are driving a $30K+ car and sniveling over 2G's. Stop complaining and be glad nobody got hurt or your car wasn't more seriously damaged and you got a ticket for distracted driving to boot.
Wow Marlon. No coffee yet this morning? I think you are being harsh. Irrespective of the reason for the accident, I also would like to know I am getting a fair deal if I was in his shoes.
Ron
Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM
V
Drifting

I smell a brand new euro bumper cover... Sell the old one as is, you would probably get a few hundred for it..
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
RutgersU
Racer

I agree. You should feel honored to overpay for repairs to your car. Forget the fact that you can get new parts cheaper. That will be your punishment. After all the accident was your fault.

People never cease to amaze me.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:33 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get it. $1100 dollars to recondition the bumper, and six hours body labor? What's the labor for, removing the bumper, replacing a shock, and replacing the bumper? I could do that in two hours blindfolded, and I've never done it before. If the six hours includes filling and repairing the bumper, then what's the recondition fee for? Go elsewhere. Even if you can get them to come down on the price, why would you trust these clowns to work on your car? Just my $.02.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:35 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

About a year ago, someone "tapped" my 993 in a parking lot and cracked the finish. I decided to do the removal and replacement myself, primarily to insure that it was done correctly and everything was re-attached properly at the end of the job.

It was not a walk in the park. Removal is easy enough, but the reinstall of the newly painted bumper is tedious and requires great care both in terms of aligning the pieces and molding and taking care not to scratch the surface.

I'm not saying don't do it yourself...Just be aware that the job requires care and some skill.

Terry
Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM
slapshot
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

2nd the Avio (no affiliation) shop for a quote. I was going to have mine resprayed due to basic wear and they quoted me $500. They have a lot of beautiful F-Cars, Lams, etc. there in different states of "fix". It looks like your bumper has some indentations and has a gash in the top or rip in the pastic where the other bumper connected? Because of the monkeying around with that, it may genuinely be more worthwile (cost effective) to simply remove your original yourself and get a new bumper and have a shop paint (with your old one to color match) and install. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure I understand this much less agree with it.

and slamming him for talking about cost?
pot, kettle, black... etc.

Who are you and what have you done with Marlon?
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are getting a bargain
For real? $2K+ to fix a scuff on the bumper? What would you consider to *not* be a bargain?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:23 PM
long_beach_968
Pro

so no good leads on a euro turo bumper???
Old 01-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just let the insurance company take care of it and wheedle a deal to 'upgrade' the rear bumper while at it. You would be 'out' the difference in cost upgrade to the 'turbo' bumper (it's going to cost you for a euro bumper - there's some totally different body compnents under euro bumper). If it's is not the R-listers fault, then he will have no worries with the company, his rates, etc.

Or - buy a good, used U.S. bumper from a accomodating R-lister for cheep and take it to the body shop and then painted to car color. Then U-swap it out??? Really.

Why would any professional car body repair shop agree to execute a half-a** repair on a late-model Porsche for REALLY cheep??? You are probably looking at a complete bumper repspray to do it right. Maybe Earl Schieb is the place to take it if you want to get off scott almost-free.

Yes - $2K+ for a professional bumper fix might be a little unpalatable to those of us on a shoestring owning these high maintenance cars. But you gotta' pay to play - and I for one choke' on those costs too. Sort of like 1500 bucks for new shocks, another 500 for installation of shocks, 250 - 300 bucks for an alignment, etc. It costs money to own and drive the best and you gotta' pick your battles.

This is just a discussion - That's what the Forum is all about.

Originally Posted by RutgersU
I agree. You should feel honored to overpay for repairs to your car. Forget the fact that you can get new parts cheaper. That will be your punishment. After all the accident was your fault.

People never cease to amaze me.
Originally Posted by MarkD
not sure I understand this much less agree with it.

and slamming him for talking about cost?
pot, kettle, black... etc.

Who are you and what have you done with Marlon?
Originally Posted by Noah
For real? $2K+ to fix a scuff on the bumper? What would you consider to *not* be a bargain?
Old 01-04-2008, 03:37 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Avio Coach Craft (no affiliation), a very hi-line body shop in West Los Angeles will do it for about $700. I just had an estimate to fix two nicks caused by the person behind me's front license plate screws.
Fisher- What boat is that in your avatar? Looks like a Beneteau, but I can't see the insignia to be certain. Your's? If so, very nice!

-Jim

Quick Reply: Rearended the 993