993 Forum 1995-1998

19' wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:08 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 19' wheels...

I've noticed a lot of folks have 19' wheels on their 993's... My understanding is that Porsche doesn't recommend going above 18'. Is that true? I really like the look of the Ruf 19', but don't want to compromise the car... Please advise.

Thank you...
Old 12-27-2007, 09:43 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been a couple of threads on this subject....some like others dont...I think they look TOO big....but to each their own.......as for Porsche......they may well not recommend bigger than 18s due to possible rub issues
Old 12-27-2007, 12:14 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 152 Posts

ruff wheels have the reputation for being heavy. Heck, I have 20" wheels on my SL55 and they clear fine. It's a matter of having fitted to the car properly. 19" wheels will probably ride a little rougher.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have 19" RUF's on my car, they work great and have zero rubbing issues. For some reason, it could be the simple design, they really look "right" for my car. Anyways, for the street the weight is not an issue (or at least it is not for me). I have driven MY02 equpped cars, other 993's with 19's and my car and the wheel differences on a street drive where very difficult to feel ;the only true way to tell is to swap the wheels on the same car so suspension/bushings/alighment/weight/age differences do not mask the wheel-only differences. My two cents is that the 19" wheels on my car is just right and its all subjective anyways. This is why you get so many opinions. I do agree that the 17" wheels are a bit more cushy given the higher sidewalls so you give up a bit of ride quality on the 19" wheels because of that.

My understanding is the RUF deliberately overbuilt the wheels both for high speed stability and strength ; I like the idea that these wheels will not go out of round on every pothole. I suspect some of the very lightweight specialized wheels are not that strong...that is just the engineer in me!

Here are some picts of my car...I think the 19" wheels look perfect!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dhicks
.......as for Porsche......they may well not recommend bigger than 18s due to possible rub issues
What ??? 19" wheels are not really any more likely to rub than 18" wheels if they are properly fit. I suspect it may have more to do with increasing the unsprung weight and all that implies. However, with the right choice of wheels and tires, a 19" setup can weigh less than many heavyweight 18" combinations. For purely lowspeed / street use, the weight matters less. I certainly won't argue the Aesthetics of 19" vs. 18" wheels, because that is a matter of personal choice. However, I would expect the ride qualities to deteriorate a bit with lower profile tires.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:02 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback... does anyone know if in fact Porsche does recommend not going over 18'?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:37 PM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
My understanding is the RUF deliberately overbuilt the wheels both for high speed stability and strength ; I like the idea that these wheels will not go out of round on every pothole. I suspect some of the very lightweight specialized wheels are not that strong...that is just the engineer in me!
Thats correct and 2 weeks ago Mr. Lieb from Ruf told it again to me, that the 19" rims from Ruf are build for high performance cars like the CTR 2 and they are bulletproof on street, track and every possible driving situation!

I drive my 993tt with 19" Ruf 8,5 and 11 and the weight is 11,9 and 13,4 Kg!

No lightweight but for a 19" rim not really heavy and in the range of a original Porsche 19" rim!

Ok, the 18" hollowspokes are much more lighter and strong but in my eyes the 19" Rufs looks great and drives great!

Greetings Christian
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niche
Thanks for the feedback... does anyone know if in fact Porsche does recommend not going over 18'?
If so, I doubt RUF would have installed them without making other changes, but I don't know for sure.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:49 PM
gonz911
Pro

Subscribed. I think the 19" Ruf's look terrific. Not sure about other brands.

Quick Reply: 19' wheels...