Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Question about the good ol' cassette deck...

Old 12-27-2007, 04:47 AM
Marco69
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question about the good ol' cassette deck...

Hello there,

I've been searching for a while trying to see who in this forum has connected an i-pod or MP3 player to the cassette deck, but I only got a related post from 2005 with no much information on connection.
My system does have the button to play CDs, but didn't come with the CD changer. I want to keep the stock look and avoid using the cassette adapter due to unsightly looks and bad sound fidelity.

I will probably end up calling Becker (http://www.beckerautosound.com/) to see if they have an adapter, but I wanted to pick the collective knowledge of the site, as I would imagine Becker may not necessarily be the ideal solution.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you in advance!
Old 12-27-2007, 05:17 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the cassette adapter, which I've found actually gives decent, but not outstanding, sound quality if you have the volume on the tape deck turned all the way up, and adjust the level from there via the ipod. It took me a few days to figure this out...

Curious to hear what other people do.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 AM
visible23
Instructor

I do the opposite. I keep the volume level on the iPod at the halfway mark and then adjust the volume thru the car's stereo. For my system it makes all the difference sound-quality-wise. If I run it the way Noah describes the music gets very distorted. It took me a few days to figure that out too!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:36 AM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by visible23
I do the opposite. I keep the volume level on the iPod at the halfway mark and then adjust the volume thru the car's stereo. For my system it makes all the difference sound-quality-wise. If I run it the way Noah describes the music gets very distorted. It took me a few days to figure that out too!
+1. I notice the sound gets crappy if the iPod volume setting is past the 3/4 mark. I keep it just past half way on the iPod and control it from the radio thereafter. I personally dislike the sound of MP3 and will not be using it come spring. I'm looking at getting an OEM CD player (CDR210???). Anyone have one lying around to get rid of???
Old 12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a CDR-210 for sale but another member is considering buying it, let me see if he still is interested. This won't give you anymore options for your Ipod though
Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

CDR 220 was the way to go for me. It looks stock and can be cabled for AUX/Ipod input. They show up on ebay but I think http://www.swstereo.com and becker usa sell them too. I got mine from ebay for 65 Bucks with buy-now. This is an unreal price and I did not believe it until I had it in my hands with all the proper documentation. Sometimes there are still great deals on ebay.

Erik
Old 12-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Marco69
Advanced

Thank you all for help! I wonder if there is another way to do this. Has anyone tried to use the CD changer connection on the back of the cassette deck to plug in the i-pod or MP3 player?

I would be interested in a stock CD player, too as I have all my music on CDs, but I figured since I don't have a CD player, I'd connect an i-pod like device.

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2007, 06:03 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 99three
+1. I notice the sound gets crappy if the iPod volume setting is past the 3/4 mark. I keep it just past half way on the iPod and control it from the radio thereafter.
Try turning the ipod down even further, and the radio volume all the way up. I found that there was an inverse relationship between the volume levels of the radio and ipod versus the quality of the sound coming out of the speakers.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marco, from what I understand, If you have the CD changer, you can connect the CD Changer to the head unit using only the control/power portion of the cable, and then plug the RCA audio cable to your iPod (with RCA to 1/8th inch TRS adaptor obviously). The you can put a CD into the CD changer hit play and the iPod will then play through the head unit.

Problem is if you don't have the stuff you need a CDC-3 factory CD changer (about $250-$350 used) and the connector cable ($89 new) to do this.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

maybee i missed something but i purchased a fm adaptor at the apple store, pluged it into the ipod and the lighter, plays great thru the radio... 16$ or so as i recall. if this is lame sorry..
ds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about the good ol' cassette deck...