I need some advice....

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts
Default I need some advice....

Long time reader, seldom poster....

I finally decided to bite the bullet and jump into club racing. I sold my nice “street/DE” 993 at the beginning of the year and have just purchased a 122k mile “foundation” to begin building the car. I plan on doing as much of the work myself as possible, so my first project on deck is body (I am paying a pro to do the cage/safety stuff and suspension and motor are close behind). Any advice on what works? Given that I want to stay in stock class my options are limited.

Option 1: Straight RS
Factory Splitters, Factory Rockers, Aftermarket RS tail

Option 2: Better brake cooling
Evo2 bumper, GT2 rockers(with extension to mate to NB) and RS tail (all aftermarket)

Option 3 ????

I am leaning toward option 1 as option 2 seems kind of iffy, but I look forward to the groups thougths/advice.

Any ideas where I can find a steel filler panel for the sunroof, would prefer that over FG.

Thanks guys…. The collective wisdom of this group is amazing….
Old 12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should talk to Rob in FL and check all he's done with his RS (*he sold his 993 garage queen and now has a great RS clone for track life!) --- see his daytona video posted here
Old 12-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Check the rule book first...

You write, "Given that I want to stay in stock class my options are limited."

Check your Club Racing rule book. The RS aero items were not available in the US, hence most clubs don't allow them in stock classes.

Read the rules very closely......build your car to the rules. It is always best to have the most points in a lower class, than have a smattering of points in a higher class.

Suspension and tires are the biggest bang for the buck....check the rule book!

Good luck with Club Racing.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Congrats on making the jump! Racing is very fun and even more fulfilling when you can make the podium or win your class.

Where to start? Too many variables with your very open-ended question. What group do you plan on running with? PCA? NASA? SCCA? What's your DE experience? With PCA, you can't run a rear wing, which is defined as any aero element that has a leading edge. Exceptions are the Aerokit 1 (I think) and 2 wings, with the latter being preferable due to its adjustability. With the aero stuff, IMO, you need to be really careful that you don't put too much downforce on the nose of the car. In high speed corners, you want more understeer, not oversteer. Trust me, if you're going fast enough, you'll have oversteer in spades. I think the Evo 2 spoiler and RS tail would create this unbalanced condition.

Also, make sure you have read the rules for whichever sanctioning body you wish to run with . . . and then plan for the future. For instance, PCA's cage rules are not as stringent as NASA's, but if you get two 13/13 penalties within 13 months with PCA, your car had better be NASA-ready. If not, you'll be sitting out a race season with PCA for 13 months or paying your cage builder extra to create a NASA-legal cage that should have been prepped properly to begin with.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:00 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Couple of key points I should have mentioned.....
Car is a bone stock 95 993 with LSD and 122k miles
Current PCA DE instructor
PCA club racing
Project #.5 (before I even get started) are cage, seats, belts, etc
Project #2 (to be completed before first race) is full out JRZ or Moton suspension
Project #3 & 4 (to be completed as soon as they die a "natural" death) are motor and trans
Old 12-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Check your Club Racing rule book. The RS aero items were not available in the US, hence most clubs don't allow them in stock classes.

For PCA, the RS spoiler is very much allowed in the stock class, which for a 993 running in class (i.e. not prepared or H class), is G class under PCA's new rules.

Read the rules very closely......build your car to the rules. It is always best to have the most points in a lower class, than have a smattering of points in a higher class.

Suspension and tires are the biggest bang for the buck....check the rule book!
Suspension and tires are very key, but I think coaching is just as important. Equipment will only take you so far if you don't know how to extract the most out of the car. Seemingly paradoxically, without a willing and capable chassis, average drivers like us will have a harder time feeling more comfortable pushing a car at the limit. Having the best components mean that the driver cannot hide behind the veil of inferior equipment if he or she is not competitive.

BTW, I have Moton Clubsport remote reservoir coil over shocks and just love the set-up.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
Couple of key points I should have mentioned.....
Car is a bone stock 95 993 with LSD and 122k miles
Current PCA DE instructor
PCA club racing
Project #.5 (before I even get started) are cage, seats, belts, etc
Project #2 (to be completed before first race) is full out JRZ or Moton suspension
Project #3 & 4 (to be completed as soon as they die a "natural" death) are motor and trans
Your LSD is burnt out. I dont think it's absolutely essential to have an LSD to track or race, but it sure can help with every last ounce of time. You can have Guards re-do your diff or get a Guards diff or get a Porsche Motorsports diff.

Do a search on Motons and JRZ's and then decide which one you think is better for you. I made my choice; my Motons have three years of DE's and races on them and, knock on wood, no leaking.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:32 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
For PCA, the RS spoiler is very much allowed in the stock class, which for a 993 running in class (i.e. not prepared or H class), is G class under PCA's new rules.

Suspension and tires are very key, but I think coaching is just as important. Equipment will only take you so far if you don't know how to extract the most out of the car. Seemingly paradoxically, without a willing and capable chassis, average drivers like us will have a harder time feeling more comfortable pushing a car at the limit. Having the best components mean that the driver cannot hide behind the veil of inferior equipment if he or she is not competitive.

BTW, I have Moton Clubsport remote reservoir coil over shocks and just love the set-up.
I like the comment about coaching,. I could not agree more, there are many seconds (at least for me anyway) in having an experienced/pro driver showing you around. I had the opportunity last year to drive/ride with a pro and it was eye opening. It is definitely on my agenda to get as much private coaching as possible, although I suspect the build costs will consume my budget for the first year (at least).
I also was skeptical of aero imbalance of the EVO nose, but I very limited experience with different aero packages. For my last car I had a factory RS kit on my last car even before my first event. Surprisingly never experienced high speed overseer (maybe because I’m too slow?) with that car.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool A quick response...

"Surprisingly never experienced high speed overseer (maybe because I’m too slow?) with that car."

You wont experience high speed over steer with a 993 RS aero kit on the car, assuming you have front and rear spoiler...after 100 mph you will feel it if you have only one spoiler on the car...front spoiler, no rear = over steer. Rear spoiler no front spoiler = understeer.

I have had my car to 135 and 140 on high a speed bank, full 993 RS kit on the car, it handled like a dream, rock solid.

The coaching is a very good idea...when you plateau (You will), just as in skiing, you'll need some coaching to get you to the next level. I am off for a stiff drink!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

You wont experience high speed over steer with a 993 RS aero kit on the car, assuming you have front and rear spoiler...after 100 mph you will feel it if you have only one spoiler on the car...front spoiler, no rear = over steer. Rear spoiler no front spoiler = understeer.

I have had my car to 135 and 140 on high a speed bank, full 993 RS kit on the car, it handled like a dream, rock solid.

Sorry, Martin, if he's going fast enough, he can experience high speed oversteer, even if the car has a balanced aero package. Even the 956/962 race cars with ground effects would exhibit oversteer if pushed hard enough.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Cool Well....

Mark writes, "Even the 956/962 race cars with ground effects would exhibit oversteer if pushed hard enough."

I don't push hard enough....tapping that wall is not something I want to do.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 AM
avidtest
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,

Welcome back to the p-car world. Glad to hear your hiatus wasn't too long. I envy the fact you're building a dedicated 993 track car too.

For the record, I've been taking very good care of your last car and she gets exercised at the track regularly.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:38 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Thx Shannon....
I keep seeing you pop up with new improvments to the car. I really like what you have done. if you have new pictures I would love to see them.... Looks like you quickly fell down the same slippery slope. Glad to hear it :-).
While my origonal plan was to go with a factory cup car, the more I looked at costs I setteled right back where I started. I liked that car so much, I spent the last 6 months looking for a suitable replacement. While this one is not nearly as nice as yours (alot of wear and alot of broken accessories), it is straight, cheap, and ready for a new life.....
I cant wait to get started on the build and ultimatly getting back out on the track... Hope to see you out there... that would be a hoot....
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 519 Likes on 278 Posts

Knowing Jeff as well as we do here in Charlotte, we knew it was only a matter of time....the question now is: will his budget run out before he even gets on the track? if you know Jeff, that is a real possibility...not because he has no money, but because his laundry list NEVER ENDS!!!

Welcome back to the insanity Mr. Scott!!!

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 12-28-2007, 01:23 PM
Harvey Yancey
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Why don't you take the picture of Shannon's car out of your avatar?

Quick Reply: I need some advice....