Winter Tire Report: Toyo Proxes 4

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 12:35 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Winter Tire Report: Toyo Proxes 4

This summer I decided to use my 993 as much as possible year round. To that end I got a set of 17" Toyo Proxes 4 winter tires a few months ago. With some snow today I can report on their performance: overall a very good year-round tire.

We had about 1/2-3/4" of snow today and it was sticking on the road. Air temp below freezing, road temp probably around freezing. I had no problems getting around on snowy pavement, the rear got a little loose on an uphill turning start but no big deal. Car has LSD and ABD, but the ABD never engaged even when I tried to break the rear away in 2nd gear at 3k rpm. Braking was very good in both dry snow and slushy water. They are clearly superior to summer tires which have left me stuck in my gravel driveway in similar weather. Not sure how they'd do in heavy snow but my guess is that they'd be OK, with real snow tires being better if you live in a snowier clime than NW Virginia.

In warmer weather the tires perform a little better than the Yoko ES100s and marginally worse than the P Zeros that I had been running on it (concurrently, I swap wheels with my 951). Good control and braking in dry or wet weather.

I wouldn't track these tires but they seem to be good for regular driving around and perform well in rain and light snow. I'll get a set of summer tires come spring but someone who doesn't drive their car hard could enjoy these year round. Price is good at around $550 installed (Radial Tire in MD). Only downside is kind of an upside- there's no 205-17 but who doesn't run a 225 up front anyway :-) ?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by ed devinney
This summer I decided to use my 993 as much as possible year round. To that end I got a set of 17" Toyo Proxes 4 winter tires a few months ago. With some snow today I can report on their performance: overall a very good year-round tire.

We had about 1/2-3/4" of snow today and it was sticking on the road. Air temp below freezing, road temp probably around freezing. I had no problems getting around on snowy pavement, the rear got a little loose on an uphill turning start but no big deal. Car has LSD and ABD, but the ABD never engaged even when I tried to break the rear away in 2nd gear at 3k rpm. Braking was very good in both dry snow and slushy water. They are clearly superior to summer tires which have left me stuck in my gravel driveway in similar weather. Not sure how they'd do in heavy snow but my guess is that they'd be OK, with real snow tires being better if you live in a snowier clime than NW Virginia.

In warmer weather the tires perform a little better than the Yoko ES100s and marginally worse than the P Zeros that I had been running on it (concurrently, I swap wheels with my 951). Good control and braking in dry or wet weather.

I wouldn't track these tires but they seem to be good for regular driving around and perform well in rain and light snow. I'll get a set of summer tires come spring but someone who doesn't drive their car hard could enjoy these year round. Price is good at around $550 installed (Radial Tire in MD). Only downside is kind of an upside- there's no 205-17 but who doesn't run a 225 up front anyway :-) ?
Ed -

Thanks for the report.

I just bought a 2007 911 Targa 4 with the 19" Turbo rims and next season I will be looking for a set of 4 all-season radials.

I came across the Toyo Proxes 4 and they have a set that would fit the bill.

235/35/19s for the front and 295/30/19s for the back (my current rears are 305/30/19s, but no big deal) for around $850-$900.

I would use these tires year round most likely.

How do you think they would do compared to the Michelon Pilot summer tires I have on there now?
I have only had the car for a week and in cold weather.

Thanks,

Howard
Old 02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Howard,
Just make sure that the tires you choose allow the same diameter ratio (front/rear) as your stock tires. I presume the all-wheel-drive system has a certain amount of forgiveness with respect to rolling diameter changes - but not much.

Andreas
Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been running Blizzak LM-25's in the winter (past 3 years) , Michelin Pilot Sport Rib's in the spring, summer. I have found that the winter tires are far superior not only in the snow, but whenever it's cold out. The compound they use for the winter tires is more pliable in the cold, and therefore gives you better grip in the cold. The summer tires need to be warm to grip well. When it's cold out they are brittle and lack grip. I don't like all season tires in general. They are mediocre all year round. The Blizzaks have been awesome in the snow.

My biggest complaint is all the awd SUV's out there with all season tires. The awd gets em goin, but the can't steer or break with the all season tires, and they don't seem to know that. I don't want them running into my well equipped p car. Just my $.02
Old 02-03-2008, 01:52 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

The Proxes 4 isn't nearly the summer tire that the Pilot Sport is, but having wrecked a car on PS's on a freezing road (and being stupid) I'm a big fan of summer tires for summer and winter tires for winter. At least for sports cars. I'll get a set of summer tires, come summer.

That said, I've been driving the Proxes 4s for a while now in warm weather and they're not bad driving around tires. I've also had them in real snow about a week ago and they rocked, got me up & over the mountain here when it hadn't been plowed. I'm with Rich, though, the other cars worried me a lot more than anything else.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 PM
yell03
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Howard,
Just make sure that the tires you choose allow the same diameter ratio (front/rear) as your stock tires. I presume the all-wheel-drive system has a certain amount of forgiveness with respect to rolling diameter changes - but not much.

Andreas
I have asked around and alot of Turbo AWD guys go to the 295/30/19s, so they must be close enough. I'll keep checking though.

Originally Posted by richardew
I've been running Blizzak LM-25's in the winter (past 3 years) , Michelin Pilot Sport Rib's in the spring, summer. I have found that the winter tires are far superior not only in the snow, but whenever it's cold out. The compound they use for the winter tires is more pliable in the cold, and therefore gives you better grip in the cold. The summer tires need to be warm to grip well. When it's cold out they are brittle and lack grip. I don't like all season tires in general. They are mediocre all year round. The Blizzaks have been awesome in the snow.

My biggest complaint is all the awd SUV's out there with all season tires. The awd gets em goin, but the can't steer or break with the all season tires, and they don't seem to know that. I don't want them running into my well equipped p car. Just my $.02
I had a Mercedes SUV AWD with all-season radials and it sucked in the snow.

Originally Posted by ed devinney
The Proxes 4 isn't nearly the summer tire that the Pilot Sport is, but having wrecked a car on PS's on a freezing road (and being stupid) I'm a big fan of summer tires for summer and winter tires for winter. At least for sports cars. I'll get a set of summer tires, come summer.

That said, I've been driving the Proxes 4s for a while now in warm weather and they're not bad driving around tires. I've also had them in real snow about a week ago and they rocked, got me up & over the mountain here when it hadn't been plowed. I'm with Rich, though, the other cars worried me a lot more than anything else.
I'll keep looking for a spare set of Turbo rims, but if not come winter I'll at least go for the Proxes.

Howard

Quick Reply: Winter Tire Report: Toyo Proxes 4