Garage idea...would appreciate input from fellow Rennlisters

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Sharkdad
Praetorian Guard
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Digital CCTV

Sent you a PM with some contact info regarding cameras / digital video recorder.

Good luck,
Eric
'91 928GT

Last edited by Sharkdad; 11-20-2007 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:40 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an old car dealership In Northville that would be great!! It's just sitting and waiting for you!! Is this sorta what you had in mind!!
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:34 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

This idea has been in the back of my mind as well. I already have a "DIY" setup in my shop, often 3-6 cars are parked by the garage while someone works though some maintenance on a lift. There is lots of merit to having a facility where you can work on your car that is well equipped, safe and has expertise on hand. Its seems to me that most of the referenced companies are oriented towards storage and not that much DIY service. However, you will need:

- a fair amount of capital. Here in Vancouver it wont work, a warehouse will cost you in the millions
- major liability coverage, especially for cars on lifts
- tools, who takes care of them, returns them, etc.
- somehow a way to protect against vandalism

....I am sure these can all be worked out though. It sure does sound like fun to set one up though!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-20-2007, 10:34 AM
EMan 928
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

993c2cab,
Nice garage! Yes, you have what I am looking for. Just add a lift and we're good to go.

I've been thinking about partitioning the space into two sections. A dedicated secure section for storage with an additional alarm system that tracks who is accessing that area. The other area would have the lifts and tools/detail equipment.

I think the costs are fairly reasonable. You can get the Rotary 2 post lifts installed for about $3500 each. I also thought I would maybe have one or two of those Kwik Lifts around...easy to move around and great for DIY jobs where you only need the car raised up 30" or so. Budget of 5k for a decent set of tools.

If it was set up as a member club, with a small group of honest, decent guys, I think it would be fun for all involved.

Keep the comments coming!
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a great idea to me. i had considered a similar setup a few years ago, but was thinking more on the offroad vehicle side. I think something geared towards the collector, higher-end cars may be more feasible in the end, particularly where you have fairly harsh winters.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
EMan 928
Rennlist Member

Default Update on garage idea

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of your feedback. I have, what I think, is a pretty good space. I would like to get your opinion on how to price a service like this.

Here are the details of the building:

A place to store 60 plus cars, not including another 15 that could be put on a 4 post lift (if someone wanted to have two cars there). All 60 would be able to be moved in and out of their "space". This area is divided into 3. Two of the three areas can be secured, each holding 20 cars. Each space is roughly 15' x 10' (plenty of space for Porsche's).

Another space, 45' x 30', specifically for detailing. Spotless water system, air compressor for drying crevices of the cars, and completely closed off from the rest of the building.

And another space, approximately 100' x 35', that would be the DIY area. This area has a separate security fence with alarm. In it would be 3 or 4 two-post lifts and maybe one of those kwik-lifts (it raises the car 30 inches or so and can be moved around the shop area). Tools and computers(for parts lookup and technical research) would be located here as well.

There is a kitchen, and an area for a lounge that could house big screen tv, a really cool slot race track configured like "The Ring", etc.

I could offer detailing, services from outside companies(dent removal, alloy wheel repair, etc) that would come to the building and do the work on site. Parts for projects could be shipped directly and stored here, too. There are alot of ways this idea could expand.

What I envision is more than just a storage space. I was thinking more along the lines of a club. You can store your cars year round. You can perform DIY tasks, you can hang out. This building would be staffed year round, so there is always someone making sure the cars are safe.

What would you be willing to pay for this? I've had people tell me as high as $400 per month if they were going to do a restoration and needed the work space. And I've had people tell me $150 a month, which is roughly a little more then the going rate for most of the indoor heated storage around here. If I bailed on the DIY area, I could get another 40 cars in there and just be an indoor heated storage facility. But, I think I could get 50-60 guys in the Detroit area who would be willing to spend somewhere between $3000-$4500/annually to be a part of something like this.

Am I crazy? I welcome all feedback.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have you done a budget yet so you have a good handle on the operational expenses and the capital outlay? I would be curious on a few items:

- the rent/lease/payment of the premises. I assume its much cheaper in your area, a warehouse 70'x120' is worth over $3M here in Vancouver
- liability insurance, you need plenty especially if people are putting cars on lifts. Say $5M to $10M minimum
- storage insurance in case the cars get stolen/vandalized
- capital cost of lifts, tools, walls, etc.
- tool, secure storage etc.
- lounge area

I think it sounds like a lot of fun and headache as well. Once you get more general with 50-60 guys the spread of needs will cause you problems. However, its one hell of a way to buy some tools and toys.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
EMan 928
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the quick response, Mike.

Budget has been created, including lifts, tools, lounge, and a healthy reserve for things that pop up. One nice thing about living in Michigan right now is that the economy is so bad, prices for buildings are fairly reasonable. Liability insurance and building insurance have been calculated. For storage insrance, the owner of the car just needs to keep comprehensive coverage on their vehicle. You are right about the needs of 50-60 guys, and I'm not sure the ratio of 3-4 lifts for that many cars is enough, especially at springtime around here when everyone wants to get their car out. Maybe we go down to only 40 members and the rest are just indoor storage customers. That's what I'm trying to figure out right now. What did you think of in terms of a price point?
Old 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think the numbers for straight storage for $175/month works since that is likely competitive for a secure/heated spot.

The problem with the DIY is its sporadic ; it will be very busy in the spring and fall, a certain level in the winter, and dead in mid-summer. What are thinking of equipping the shop with? For instance, I would pay more if it had a good welder, lathe, milling machine, all the tools, etc. Lots of wear and tear from people who do not know how to use tools. Oooops, i already have just about all that (only need the milling machine...maybe this year).

I would say $400/month for a good equipped shop and storage is a good price. $600/month is too much. It also depends on the local economy.

Sounds like you need to go to some local car clubs and do some market research!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-18-2008, 10:19 PM
nine45s
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Eric,

I think 993C2Cab's garage is a fairly common sight in these parts. I have a 4 car (with lift) on my property along with a 2 car attached to my house, most of my car nut friends have similar set ups. If space was harder to come by here (as it is in some other areas of the country) it would be easier to find interested people. Just my opinion of course. Keep us posted and if it works out I'll at least stop by for a beverage and BS session.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget a shower, locker room type area. You might want to see if you could get the people leasing space to also have you listed as additional insured on their policies. Many guys carriers might object to this though. I really think the insurance and liability thing is going to be the nut to crack. Would be a nice business for you though. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Garage idea...would appreciate input from fellow Rennlisters