993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: How many of you guys have jobs that just doesn't go smoothly all day long

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OT: How many of you guys have jobs that just doesn't go smoothly all day long

Sorry for the OT, just very frastrated!!!

Maybe it is the industry "Pharmaceutical manufacturing" I am in, there is no smooth running day in my business. Not one damn day the plant runs smooth. If not material short, is material missing, potency low, equipment failure, power failure, employee injuries, QC causing trouble, employee issues, OT issues.... on and on.....

Always something, always something that goes wrong and the pointing of the finger begins.

Very very stressful business!!!!!!!!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:04 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try out construction lending and I think you'll find the grass is not greener over here either!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:10 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

please.......try construction itself! or rental real estate or own a service oriented business.....

Welcome to my world !!!

I could own a day care and work less and have less BS sometimes!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:14 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

My sales job would be GREAT if it weren't for the dang customers......
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 PM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Robin - I was hoping that you had found bliss with your current venture. I have never found it and exactly the reason Im on here instead going to some lame meeting or something. I just got into it with doc control this morning. Just finished a design and submitted the document package. She flags an error or typo or something and kicks it back. I correct and resubmit. She kicks it back to me for yet another problem. This cycle went on 4 times over the last week and I finally blew my top. I told her firmly that I tired of going in circles with her and to review the document package so that the resubmittal cycle is minimized. I dont mind following procedures, but when the requirements are a moving target I just want to scream.

Im really not an a**hole, but Im not making friends at work right now. "***** in a porsche" comes to mind.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
FLYT993
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX

Maybe it is the industry "Pharmaceutical manufacturing" I am in, there is no smooth running day in my business. Not one damn day the plant runs smooth. If not material short, is material missing, potency low, equipment failure, power failure, employee injuries, QC causing trouble, employee issues, OT issues.... on and on.....

Always something, always something that goes wrong and the pointing of the finger begins.

Robin, as you know, I manage the complaint system for a large HMO. So I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Experience has taught me (been in systems now well over a decade) it is usually poor processes that create the environment for the consistency of errors to occur. People generally try and want to do the right thing...not to say that there are not idiots among us, because we all know they are. But I have found in dissecting why things are done a particular way...you will find a variety of stupid or weak answers.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:46 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 380 Posts

"employee injuries" - in making pills?

Just curious.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:57 PM
NOH20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about the automotive industry in Detroit? More specifically, engineered productsd to the "Big 3" in Detroit. As their sales continue to decline it has a direct impact on the entire state of Michigan and my pocket book. It's easy to understand why Michigan has the highest unemployment rate in the country.

I hear it all day long, "start manufacturing in China" or the more politically correct term in the industry "low cost country" or LCC.

This industry is gettng hammered by cheap imports and obvious other factors such as UAW legacy costs etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Randy 1
Racer

Hey, if it was easy, either everyone would do it, or it would be strictly on a volunteer basis. Even **** stars have bad days...

Commercial real estate is not a cheery place to be right now...unless you've somehow figured out a way to short real estate.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:02 PM
KeithR3
Pro

I'm in HR. Enough said.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, most of my days are out of control too. Even after 50+ years manufacturing one of our product lines ( based on Si, Pd, Se, Pb chemistry), every day is still an adventure. But in our case, QC doesn't create problems; usually they just confirm what we already know
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

...at least your customers don't bite and scratch you
Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

I think were all in the same boat.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:44 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX

IF it was easy - "the boy scouts would be doing it"

thats why they pay you the big bucks..
Old 11-09-2007, 06:45 PM
fixedgame
Instructor

take your 993 out for a drive and forget about it for awhile.

Quick Reply: OT: How many of you guys have jobs that just doesn't go smoothly all day long