993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: How many of you guys have jobs that just doesn't go smoothly all day long

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Gosh guys, thanks for all the support and response. I guess I hit a sensitive spot most of us are faced with everyday.

I am a production manage for a pharmaceutical company which is a contract manufacturer. It is like the worst of both worlds. Being a CM means that every order that comes in is different, there are no two days that are a like. Worst thing about QA and QC is that they are like police man always out to get us every possible way, pick on us everyday for every little thing and sends out a broadcast e-mail to everyone in the fu&^%# company saying how incompotent production is.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant. No drive in the 993 yet, but a bottle of wine is helping so far.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
You're a veterinarian?
Chris,
Yes, but nothing larger than a great dane!
Old 11-09-2007, 11:52 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like what I do it makes me some dough and the client connections I have are a great asset to my personal life , plus 90% of my clients I consider friends and I have aprox. 400 clients .
It was rough today away from work .Mike J and I took the day off and went check out all sorts of porsches in the Seattle area and met up with Dennis (C4S_fan ) for lunch. Dennis took us for a tour around Microsoft Campus .
The only thing that didn`t go rigth today was one of the guys we were suppose to check out his C4S for purchasing had a miscommunication and we were unable to see it . That gives me an excuse to take another day off to go back to Seattle

Cheers Guy
Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Marco8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy I hesitate to post this...but I'm having a lot of fun. As some of you know I sold my businesses moved to Dallas and got a job selling in an industry I had never sold before.....selling Porsche's. Almost everyday I exceed 100mph and am surrounded by beautiful machinery, Porsche master technicians, and customers who want to talk about Porsche's. Last month was my first month, and I was green as could be, this month I have already sold 6 cars in seven days. It really helps to love what you do, and feel passionate about what you sell.

Marco
Old 11-10-2007, 12:29 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Any dealerships hiring in LA area? Sound like that's what I need to do. Not just sell cars, I would be interested in service writer, service technician! Anything like that.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:37 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

try mortgage and the grass is brown
Old 11-10-2007, 01:15 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I've got a dream job but it still involves 9-12 hour workdays in 100* heat with no days off for 7.5 months straight...

then again, it's really fun driving that 17 miles to "work" each day
And you're in front of the public, half the time to a hostile crowd!

Next season when you're our way, come on up to the hills and I'll show you some great driving roads. We're only 5 miles from the Coliseum.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by atan888
try mortgage and the grass is brown
You have a garage that people would KILL for, I have no sympathy for you!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:02 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Working on your guys' cars can be stressful at times as well! I love Porsches, and I love working on them and driving them, I do '50s 356s all the way thru 997s and Cayennes (and BMWs/Mini) and I love the variety. I wouldn't want to do anything else. But, working for a small independent shop can be hard. We have many loyal, great customers but it still can be demanding. But I do like the physical aspect of the job, pushing cars and lifting heavy parts all day is a great workout. It is hard to make money though, can't always reasonably charge for every minute you spend on a car, customers love to come and chat and ask for advice (I love that they like us and like to hang out but sometimes it takes up too much time!), waiting for parts, shuffling cars around in our small lot, etc. So it sometimes annoys me when I see nonstop posts on how shops rip people off, etc. I know that some do, but it is pretty tough to make money in this business, despite how high the costs to the customer are. But I'm glad I work for a place that has a great reputation.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to do anything else! Interesting to hear what everyone on here does to fuel their Porsche obsession.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:05 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
You have a garage that people would KILL for, I have no sympathy for you!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ever tried taking care of the fieldwork/paperwork to appease the FDA in pharmaceutical manufacturing? Good Lord.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
Gosh guys, thanks for all the support and response. I guess I hit a sensitive spot most of us are faced with everyday.

I am a production manage for a pharmaceutical company which is a contract manufacturer. It is like the worst of both worlds. Being a CM means that every order that comes in is different, there are no two days that are a like. Worst thing about QA and QC is that they are like police man always out to get us every possible way, pick on us everyday for every little thing and sends out a broadcast e-mail to everyone in the fu&^%# company saying how incompotent production is.

Anyways, thanks for listening to my rant. No drive in the 993 yet, but a bottle of wine is helping so far.

Thanks guys.
Sorry to say it, but the QA / QC is just protecting you from the FDA. They're a necessary evil. I have to deal with them day in and day out as well.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

a long day, sick people, needy people, bitchy people, poor people...... a very long day so i go to this forum for respite. and i find an opportunity to get out of myself ...... and icome across this post.

Robin has given more to me than i can ever give to him. so i say thank you for your incredible efforts on the behalf of all of us.
i can only offer this, at 4am, after a long week of surgery on all kinds of folks and just awakend again for a brken leg on a drunk ....
you have to find a path with a heart ..........Carlos Casteneda
The Wisdom of Solomon,.. Ecclesiates.... its all there, no matter what your faith.
Thanks so much Robin
ds
Old 11-10-2007, 10:02 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I work for a small Civil Engineering and Land Surveying firm. We get to deal with politicians and
dim witted planning boards. With all the red tape and opposition it's a miracle that ground gets
broken on any project.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:23 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
I work for a small Civil Engineering and Land Surveying firm. We get to deal with politicians and
dim witted planning boards. With all the red tape and opposition it's a miracle that ground gets
broken on any project.

We belong to the same club.

CP

Quick Reply: OT: How many of you guys have jobs that just doesn't go smoothly all day long