993 Forum 1995-1998

Fuel pump replacement didn't help

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
I think a bad accumulator will result in the pump running often. Otherwise, I am not that up on these systems.

After the car sits for some time, is it very hard to depress the clutch?
Sounds like it's the electrohydraulic pump for the brakes like others have mentioned. Chris Walrod is right if it runs too much you might want to have the system checked and see if the accumulator is good, but 20 secs after starup and the shut off sounds ok. Should be able to push the brake pedal 20-30 times after you shut the ignition off and the pedal should be assisted before it goes hard. If you are using the brakes hard, might hear it running while driving.

As for depressing the clutch, that won't tell you anything on an NA C4, it has the same basic hydraulic clutch circuit that is separate from the braking circuit (but shares a reservoir) as a C2. The 993TT has a hydraulically boosted clutch slave cylinder that uses pressure from the power steering pump, (this makes pedal really light and easy to depress, nice since pedal would be heavy otherwise, pressure plate has to hold 400+ lb/ft torque!) and has a separate accumulator for the clutch circuit mounted to the clutch slave cylinder. This goes bad often, BTW.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Droops83
The 993TT has a hydraulically boosted clutch slave cylinder that uses pressure from the power steering pump, (this makes pedal really light and easy to depress..
Ahh, this makes sense as the TT is the only pump-up system I have experience with.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:43 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Droops83
Sounds like it's the electrohydraulic pump for the brakes like others have mentioned. Chris Walrod is right if it runs too much you might want to have the system checked and see if the accumulator is good, but 20 secs after starup and the shut off sounds ok. Should be able to push the brake pedal 20-30 times after you shut the ignition off and the pedal should be assisted before it goes hard. If you are using the brakes hard, might hear it running while driving.

As for depressing the clutch, that won't tell you anything on an NA C4, it has the same basic hydraulic clutch circuit that is separate from the braking circuit (but shares a reservoir) as a C2. The 993TT has a hydraulically boosted clutch slave cylinder that uses pressure from the power steering pump, (this makes pedal really light and easy to depress, nice since pedal would be heavy otherwise, pressure plate has to hold 400+ lb/ft torque!) and has a separate accumulator for the clutch circuit mounted to the clutch slave cylinder. This goes bad often, BTW.
I believe you guys are correct as the brake goes hard after shutting off the ignition and pressing on the brake 20-30 times. What a relief! But I will have it checked out to be on the safe side.

Assuming that the fuel pump was the problem I didn't ask for the original part back. I could have offered it to another Rennlister for just the shipping costs. Sorry folks.

Once again many thanks.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump replacement didn't help