Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Test only center failed on "functional test" HELP!!! (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/389195-test-only-center-failed-on-functional-test-help.html)

BanMeNot 11-03-2007 04:21 PM

Test only center failed on "functional test" HELP!!!

Hi all,
I ran test only center this morning that required by California DMV and fail on Functional Check.
The smoke mechanic said car computer had been reset and no codes been read. He asked had I reset my computer or power outage. Then I mentioned I recently replace the battery. He asked me for reset the computer into normal either by driving car for several miles or reset by Porsche mechanic.
I feel wired, I had mine for a year, the check engine light never came up. I don't think that is the reason to fail the test.:banghead:

Did he failed the test with appropriate procedures? Any experienced smoke tech can chime in?

How can I make my car ready to pass test? Do I need a "hammer" to reset the computer as he said?If that is truth can someone live near San Francisco can borrower it?

Anyone have a honorable test only center to perform the test? I smell some fishy when testing is performed.

I can scan the smoke check report if anyone like to see it

Thanks in advance.

Keith

Hank 11-03-2007 05:09 PM

Where are you? Nevermind I can read now.

zoaatc11 11-03-2007 06:48 PM

Call the DMV and get an appointment with a smog referee. They are state run and can pass you without the function test. Just did it in aug. Same problem........

epj993 11-03-2007 08:23 PM

When you replaced the battery, the emission monitors were reset. This prevents people from clearing any fault codes to get certified. And, the shop can't issue a smog cert if the monitors are in a "not ready" state. There's also a drive cycle that can be performed to set the monitors to "ready", but you need a lot of road and need to follow it exactly. Probably the best way to reset them is to get out and drive. It took me about 600 miles total doing a variety of city & highway driving.

BTW, here in California you can pay your registration fees without the smog cert to aviod any penalties. However, the DMV won't issue the tag until your car passes.

MarkD 11-03-2007 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BanMeNot (Post 4743510)
Hi all,
I ran test only center this morning that required by California DMV and fail on Functional Check.
The smoke mechanic said car computer had been reset and no codes been read. He asked had I reset my computer or power outage. Then I mentioned I recently replace the battery. He asked me for reset the computer into normal either by driving car for several miles or reset by Porsche mechanic.
I feel wired, I had mine for a year, the check engine light never came up. I don't think that is the reason to fail the test.:banghead:

Did he failed the test with appropriate procedures? Any experienced smoke tech can chime in?

How can I make my car ready to pass test? Do I need a "hammer" to reset the computer as he said?If that is truth can someone live near San Francisco can borrower it?

Anyone have a honorable test only center to perform the test? I smell some fishy when testing is performed.

I can scan the smoke check report if anyone like to see it

Thanks in advance.

Keith

It is pretty easy to get the readiness codes to set.
If they were helpful, they might have given you the driving sequence it takes to get various codes to "ready" state.

I bought a $40 OBDII reader so I could see when they were "ready". Saved me a couple of trips to the smog station since it didn't work the first time around. Simply driving hundreds of miles will likely not work since the type of driving it takes is really abnormal. Eventually, they would set but it could take a year :)
Do the sequence below (twice) and you will be good to go. This has become known as the "BMW" readiness code driving sequence since it was pulled form a BMW board, however, all OBDII cars have some sort of sequence required to test sensors and set to ready. The times on this list are overkill and will make it certain that they are set:

Start engine, idle cold for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Idle in gear for approx 5 mins.

Following the start engine phase the sequence of test conditions may be interchanged.

Routine will be discontinued whenever:

Engine speed exceeds 3000 RPM
Large fluctuations in throttle angle
Road speed exceeds 60 MPH

Note: on M/T cars you do NOT have to leave the car in gear with the clutch in for 5 minutes. Neutral works just fine.

Also, attached is the Posrche specific doc that covers the 993 requirements for code resets. Not quite as user friendly.

Jim Morton 11-04-2007 01:11 AM

Keith:

You have not said what year 96-98 993 you have.

For what ever reason, my experience either owning or helping local 993 folks is that the 1996 cars tend to be a bit more cranky to get all 6 codes set without the use of a Porsche PST2 diagnostics tester. The PST2 lets you set 2 of the 6 codes by running "short" tests for the SAI and cat functions. However...

If you don't even want to even mess with the readiness codes, the good news is that CA DMV / BAR has the 96-98 993 Porsche listed such that you can go straight to a referee station for testing.

Here in NorCal, the referee stations are usually found at Jr. College Auto Tech. facilities. Given this, the fees are a whopping $38.50, out the door.

Given the test only station pricing, this is a deal and gets you done in one stop. Personally, I have used the ref. station at College of Alameda and my P-Cars. My cars have been joined by some Ferarri's and Lambo's doing the same smog test routine while I was there.

If you have a 97 or 98, you can try the drive procedure, but I would not try it more than a couple of times before opting out for the ref. station option. It's just too easy ( and cheaper ).

$0.02

g_murray 11-06-2007 03:35 PM

Hi,
Here in NY - if the car's computer shows that the 'readiness codes' are NOT set -- then you fail. The DMV/testing station DOES NOT CARE that the car is 'fine' and that the CEL is OFF. The fact that the car is 'not READY for inspection' - is grounds enuf for a 'failure'. Harsh, yes, IMHO.
This 'not ready state' can happen as a result of installing a new battery or clearing a CEL (check engine light) condition with a code scanner or yanking the ECM fuse(s) etc.
The PO of my car, let the battery die, coz he just didn't drive it. It took OVER 800 miles of 'various types of driving' for me to get all (8) monitors to show 'ready'. Then and only then could I get it to fully pass. I have made bloody sure since then (3 years ago) to NEVER let the battery go bye-bye - using a trickle charger during the winter-time -- as most of us (on this forum do.)
It's a pity you didn't swop out the battery AFTER you had it inspected - then you'd have a YEAR to get the ECM to play-nice.
Oh well, lessons learned.
FWIW, a bunch of us have been thru' this -- so my advice is to do a SEARCH and get all the info you can/need on OBD-ii -- and those pesky readiness-monitors.

Gerry

Don Plumley 11-06-2007 08:33 PM

I have passed CA emissions without my readiness codes set through the smog referee. I gave up after driving 300 miles. PM me for details.

B-Line 11-07-2007 07:22 PM

Do not waste your time trying to reset your codes by doing endless "drive arounds"..

How can you maintain speed of 20-40mph for 3 minutes? Unless you live on an airport runway..

Go to the referee station. It will save you a lot of grief.

B

MarkD 11-07-2007 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by B-Line (Post 4757731)
Do not waste your time trying to reset your codes by doing endless "drive arounds"..

How can you maintain speed of 20-40mph for 3 minutes? Unless you live on an airport runway..

Go to the referee station. It will save you a lot of grief.

B

Not "endless drive arounds"... specific driving.
I don't live near or on a runway, wasn't a problem. Took 2 shots at it and about 30 minutes of my life... wasn't too traumatic.
Driving sequence is what sets the readiness codes.
Most "normal" driving won't.
See sequence above.
Or go to a referee station... whatever floats yer boat.

Chuck W. 11-07-2007 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Don Plumley (Post 4753833)
I have passed CA emissions without my readiness codes set through the smog referee. I gave up after driving 300 miles. PM me for details.

Same here. The referee is the way to go. And take your reciept from the smog station with you and they will deduct it. Good Luck

BanMeNot 11-09-2007 01:47 AM

Thank you for all your warm reply!!
I went to referee center at Skyline College today and it Passed. Thanks God!

P.S. The nice technician deducted that smoke fee as well. :)

Keith

Cassie Vinzant 05-27-2018 02:35 AM

Hello

Originally Posted by Don Plumley (Post 4753833)

How do I do this?
​​​​​​