Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Mystery chip?

Old 11-02-2007, 05:45 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery chip?

I have reason to believe my '96 C4s has been chipped. There are no records to establish what when or where the chip was installed. The ECU has two labels. A silver Bosch label with a number ending in 208 which makes it a '96 twin chip. It has another label, white, with Porsche numbers, some the same, some different. There is a 15.01.96 date on the white label and it's part # ends in 00.

There is a third label of which only a portion remains. It appears non-factory. I can read www.powe... and POW... in caps. This could be a clue as to who messed with it or what was put inside.

I tried Googling "porsche chip" and all I could come up with was a chip purveyor called Powertech. Their website is pwr-tech.com. This doesn't match up with the fragmentary address I have. Changed?

Any ideas?

RB
Old 11-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Might be PowerChips,.......
Old 11-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rbeggs
I have reason to believe my '96 C4s has been chipped. There are no records to establish what when or where the chip was installed. The ECU has two labels. A silver Bosch label with a number ending in 208 which makes it a '96 twin chip. It has another label, white, with Porsche numbers, some the same, some different. There is a 15.01.96 date on the white label and it's part # ends in 00.

There is a third label of which only a portion remains. It appears non-factory. I can read www.powe... and POW... in caps. This could be a clue as to who messed with it or what was put inside.

I tried Googling "porsche chip" and all I could come up with was a chip purveyor called Powertech. Their website is pwr-tech.com. This doesn't match up with the fragmentary address I have. Changed?

Any ideas?

RB
More importantly - How does it run??!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:36 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm thinking powerchips as well, as the ECU would have had to been sent back for the "upgrade" (unlike a '95 (Hey Steve!). You may want to call them and ask if they record ECU serial numbers on the upgrade..???

JD
Old 11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
rbeggs
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve W.

You supplied the clue that solved the mystery. Turns out it's www.powerchipgroup.com out of Australia.

Having inherited this piece of software, not by choice, Im curious. What is your opinion of the product? They allude to the fact that it is a special piggybacked configuration to take into account the '96 ECU's
peculiarities.

As to my opinion about performance, I'm happy but have no standard of comparison. The sucker just feels good. Lots of punch and no flat spots. Maybe it could be better but I'm sure it could be worse.

Thanks for your help.

RB
Old 11-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

RB:

While I'm not a fan of the piggyback technology needed to do the 96's for reasons of reliability, I say if it feels good to you, drive it and enjoy it with good health,...

Hey JD,...I'm tickled pink that you & Jenn get to join the world of the "living",......

I STILL have no idea what the word "vacation" is, tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mystery chip?