Fog lights

Old 10-31-2007, 06:02 PM
clipstone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights

Hi there ...

Looking for a little help from my US buddies

Wondering firstly if the US foglight is the same part as the European version (not sure if the bumperette thing that you guys have makes it different?)

If it is the same part, any ideas what the cost from a US dealer would be? They work out at about $400 US in the UK, but I will be in Vegas for a week in December so if they work out cheaper there, and are the same part, I may see if I can get hold of a pair.

Any help/advice most appreciated
Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Same light, bumperette makes not difference and at our exchange rate.......they should be paying you to bring a couple back to the UK!
Old 10-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clipstone
Hi there ...

Looking for a little help from my US buddies

Wondering firstly if the US foglight is the same part as the European version (not sure if the bumperette thing that you guys have makes it different?)

If it is the same part, any ideas what the cost from a US dealer would be? They work out at about $400 US in the UK, but I will be in Vegas for a week in December so if they work out cheaper there, and are the same part, I may see if I can get hold of a pair.

Any help/advice most appreciated
New ones are not cheap though. I think they are almost 200 bucks or so each and typically on ebay the new ones get 125 bucks. Used ones are cheap however. Whatever we can do to set you up with a suitcase full of fogs - just shout! Or - just post them to yourself as used car parts???
Old 10-31-2007, 09:49 PM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

I got some used ones laying around.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:34 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Cheers for the replies

Sounds like the costs in the US ($200 ea) work out about the same as over in the UK, which is a bit of a blow

Problem is with mine, now that I have changed the indicators to new clears, the old dirty fogs show up like a sore thumb

Thats what puts me off going for s/hand ones, as it is unlikely they will show much improvement I would have thought ... do not really fancy the idea of taking them apart and spraying them so looks like I might just have to bend over and take the pain from the stealer, unless any of you have any other suggestions?
Old 11-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might try painting the inside of your fog-lights silver (there was a recent thread about how to do this) and using an LED bulb (www.aceparts.com in the UK - no affiliation etc.). That's what I plan on doing.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
race.it
Instructor

Strange question, where did you get the clear side indicators from, I have brought a set for mine, but I am not happy with the fit, do yours fit nicely and do not move about, I know they are the same as a mark II golf, but when I had one of these there was different quality in the side repeaters that took a bit of time to find a good fitting set.

thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 12:11 PM
clipstone
Instructor

Originally Posted by cytefx
Strange question, where did you get the clear side indicators from, I have brought a set for mine, but I am not happy with the fit, do yours fit nicely and do not move about, I know they are the same as a mark II golf, but when I had one of these there was different quality in the side repeaters that took a bit of time to find a good fitting set.

thanks
Got them from Design911 - they were chucked in with the clear front/red rears that I ordered.

They did fit well - unfortunatly some tw*t appears to have tried to rob the drivers side one, so that is now half hanging off - got some more on order from a friend who owns a VW tuning place, so I'll let you know how these fit, cost, etc if you like?
Old 11-01-2007, 04:27 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

How about help from a UK expat in the US sound?

You could always try the Audi parts bin from the RS2 (same fogs and indicators and mirrors as the 993).

I've used http://www.vagparts.co.uk in the past for clear signals... they don;t show fogs though

Try this lot for RS2 fogs (they are the same Hella parts as the 993 fogs).

http://www.gpcvwaudi.com/ click on parts in the left, then select others... 60 quid each!!
Old 11-01-2007, 08:10 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clipstone, your car looks fantastic.

Reuben, I've fancied that painting idea too. Saw the DIY on P-car or here, somewhere. But a word of caution. You have to basically cut the housing open since it's glued together. If any of you try it, and you have an old housing laying around, I suggest practicing first - I practiced on a cracked one and I thought it was kind of a mess; then decided to hold off on doing it for the time being.

dave
Old 11-02-2007, 06:00 AM
clipstone
Instructor

Clive - quality suggestion mate, I will look into the RS2 fogs today!

Now, as an ex-pat in the US, if you could just get me a job over there aswell and then your work will be done

Dave - I agree with you on the spraying idea - got myself an old unit to practice on, and having just looked at the cutting to get it apart, realised that it was far beyond my very limited DIY skills
Old 11-02-2007, 06:41 AM
race.it
Instructor

Originally Posted by clipstone
Got them from Design911 - they were chucked in with the clear front/red rears that I ordered.

They did fit well - unfortunatly some tw*t appears to have tried to rob the drivers side one, so that is now half hanging off - got some more on order from a friend who owns a VW tuning place, so I'll let you know how these fit, cost, etc if you like?
mine had the clear front and rear when I got it, if you could keep me updated with fit and finnish that would be good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fog lights