Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

No Help:Tapping Noise after Valve Gasket Replacement!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM
SPIKES
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jclanin
Yes, the rubber covers going onto the plugs. they tend to dry out over time and expand causing a gap at the plug junction. Once the wheel is off it takes 5 minutes to "grease" all the plug covers - so it's definitely worth a try.

JC
thanks JC I am wondering why it should make a ticking noise?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYT993
How would the lifters "dry" out? The biggest clue for me is, this tapping noise did NOT EXIST before I had the gaskets replaced.....now it does. There has to be a connection/relationship there.

It's like going to the dentist to have a tooth fixed, and when you leave your lip hurts, and your lip wasn't hurting before you sat in that chair for a few hours.
I know that sounds simple but how tricky can this be. The car was running fine, no unknown noises before the repair. Now it has this freakin' tapping, coming from the area where the work was done.
Mabye a plug wire got damaged and it's arcing a little. Sometimes a good arc will cause a 'snap - snap - snap...' noise. But thinking about the particular area, there might not be a lot of metal to arc against - the covers are plastic. Mabye a cover securing bolt???

Quick Reply: No Help:Tapping Noise after Valve Gasket Replacement!