SAI flush alternative...PLEASE REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 12:15 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts
Default SAI flush alternative...PLEASE REVIEW

all,

was wondering if it was possible to re-route the sai passages by drilling out new ones in the exhaust manifold??

has anyone tried this??

my friend has the dreaded CEL SAI code on his new '97 targa that he purchased last month and was wondering about alternatives as the flush seems like an involved process.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:36 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

There was a thread a couple of months ago about bypassing the SAI check valve and routing 1/4" ID aluminum tubing to the threaded hole (with a bolt inserted) on the aft side of the exhaust. To see the bolt, you don't even have to jack the car up- just look up behind the rear bumper cover. There is one on each side of the exhaust less than a foot from center and facing aft.

I'll see if I can find the thread. Had pictures and details.

BTW- The mechanic did a "T" split before the SAI valve and ran a 1/4" tube to each side, but I am thinking that one could run one line toward the back and split it closer to the terminating points.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do a search for "SAI plumbing" There is an elegant fix being tested right now that I am hoping will work.
Dennis
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Do a search for "SAI plumbing" There is an elegant fix being tested right now that I am hoping will work.
Dennis
Dennis- If you're talking about the thread by member "jrb964" entitled "Permanent SAI Solution (Hopefully)", that is the one I was thinking of. I haven't rooted around in the engine bay, but it seems like it should be pretty simple to connect about a 3 foot long 1/4" fuel line (or similar), bypass the SAI valve, drop the fuel line to some point under the engine, cut off the excess and connect it to the 1/4" OD aluminum tube. Then, split the aluminum tube near the exhaust and plug it into those threaded holes.

Seems like a pretty simple project. Maybe an hour and $30 for materials? Keep us posted and maybe list the materials and post a few pictures!

-Jim
Old 10-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Why bother? Just buy the part Turbowerx sells. It's cheap and does not require drilling holes permanently in your car. Re-routing risks not only permanent changes to your car, but also may not work with the OBD, which runs diagnostics before and after the SAI.

Check here:

http://www.turbowerx.com/Products/SA...iagnostic.html
Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the product even available yet? Does anyone have it? Please post experiences
Old 10-31-2007, 01:47 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Why bother? Just buy the ...
Adrienne- sorry for the off topic excursion, but did you ever figure out what was causing your car to stutter at high rpms? I've always been curious.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:05 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adrienne
Why bother? Just buy the part Turbowerx sells. It's cheap and does not require drilling holes permanently in your car. Re-routing risks not only permanent changes to your car, but also may not work with the OBD, which runs diagnostics before and after the SAI.

Check here:

http://www.turbowerx.com/Products/SA...iagnostic.html
Is this available? I emailed them a couple of months ago and they were going to let me know when it became available. So far, nothing.

As for the tube bypass, it appears to work with OBD at least initially. No holes to drill that I can see. Maybe someone needs to get in touch with JRB964 and see how it's doing after a couple thousand miles.

-Jim
Old 10-31-2007, 02:50 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Adrienne- sorry for the off topic excursion, but did you ever figure out what was causing your car to stutter at high rpms? I've always been curious.
It was a rare but not too uncommon problem with the positive battery lead. My symptoms were occasional misfires, generally in the mid to high rpm range. We cut the battery lead and re-installed a new one over a year ago. No problems since then. There's more detail in the post....

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/269097-intermittent-hesitation-any-ideas.html

Last edited by Adrienne; 10-31-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: inserted link to post
Old 10-31-2007, 04:22 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Jim, I PM'd jrb964 the other day and he is still running fine w/ no complications or SAI faults. He said he will try to get some photos of the pump/ valve end of the changes he made. The photos from the old thread shows the tubes connected to the exhaust through existing ports easily accessable from underneath the car.
Dennis
Old 10-31-2007, 04:26 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Adrienne, are you using the TurboWerx tool? Is it a software fix/ change or???? I also was in contact w/ TurboWerx and they said they would e-mail me when device was ready for sale-no word as yet.
Dennis
Old 11-01-2007, 09:01 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I hear the device was slowed down due to one of their suppliers for the enclosure letting them down....they have moved to another supplier and I hear it may be ready in the near future........by the way PM me if you want more info on its ability to work......I owe Adrienne big time for this information......

Quick Reply: SAI flush alternative...PLEASE REVIEW