Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1st DE coming up & fire extingusiher mount

Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st DE coming up & fire extingusiher mount

My 1st DE day is coming up, actually a track orientation followed a week later by a DE day with the local p-club here in Omaha.
Full on novice for both.

Have gone through threads here and the event instructions so think I'm in good shape as far as what to bring and expectations, with my goal for the days
being to not do anything monumentally stupid....

Seeking input though on what I did for a F/E mount. I didn't go with the seat mount as I just got the power seat working (another story) and didn't want
to mess with it. Also, the mount, even for these cars is expensive.

So, see pics; fabricated a steel mounting plate that I bolted to the bottom of the arm rest so it's locked in pretty good. Mounted the F/E carrier to the plate.
I can reach the quick release easily and in daily driving I have no movement etc.... What do you think?
Will this be acceptable for DE days? Appreciate the input.

Rick
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2012, 11:32 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My concern would be the plastic mount and strap and what type of FE that is (looks like a small marine one that comes with a plastic bracket. PCA here in my area (and I believe nationally - check the DE Guide) requires "metal on metal" mounting of the FE. They do accept the OEM Porsche one that has some composite materials, but I believe those are tested & approved for roadway / AutoBahn / Track use in Europe otherwise they would not be a "factory option".

I'd ask one of your DE officials before going to the event and possibly having your car not pass Tech.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I didn't think that fire extiguisher were still a requirement. Good to have however.

I have my doubts about your setup. How secure is that one plastic band holding the extinguisher? In that position the extinguisher is going to be exposed to a lot of side to side forces and it looks like that band may not be up to the task.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Brey Krause

I'd take a look at their mounting set up...it ain't cheap, but it is very solid, and probably won't come loose in an impact. I say probably because nothing is certain in an impact.

I have had one for years and use a 2 1/2 Lb. Halon bottle. One of these days, I will get a plumbed in system that is mounted in the trunk.

Certain Clubs say you don't need a bottle, others insist. The first time you really need one and don't have one....you'll be glad you erred on the side of caution.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
RJKK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Thanks all, appreciate the input. Had my doubts with the plastic carrier and didn't think through the side to side forces which don't come into play in daily driving. I always carry a F/E so better to have it mounted properly.

Thank you, Rick
Old 09-02-2012, 01:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Getting too technical I know but, since we're on the subject, most governing bodies require a metal bracket with two metal straps. While any fire extinguisher is better than none, the best have a metal nozzle, valve and gauge. HALON is best, HALOTRON next best. Dry chemical will do the job but will create a mess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1st DE coming up & fire extingusiher mount