Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

curb rash on my cup wheel today...damn it!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,699 Posts
Default curb rash on my cup wheel today...damn it!!

i'm pissed...my perfect wheels are no longer perfect...

its gonna need a good sanding and some filler but my concern is matching the original silver color of the stock cup wheel..

anyone have a silver color match paint for the wheels??
Old 10-30-2007, 08:28 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a bummer. I know how you feel. I put the first rim rash on my wife's SL55 when it was only a month old. She still gives me the evil eye when I drive her car. I wonder why she does a walkabout it when I hand her the keys back?
This is what has been recommended on this Board in the past:
http://classic-motoring.stores.yahoo...usilasppa.html
Do a search on this Board for other opinions.

Last edited by air eater; 10-31-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, I did the same thing to the 993 today. And to make it worse, it is my wife's car. So, what will you use to sand and prep the wheels? Is the paint the same color as what Porsche uses? I really don't want to have to send the wheel back to Wheel Enhancement or the likes.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:56 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

hal,

i just ordered the wheel paint that "air eater" posted...2 cans (1 paint/1 clear coat)for $30.90 which includes the shipping to seattle.

i have about an 8 inch total rash on the very flat edge of the cup wheel...with the wheel mounted on the car i will gently sand the area with a course sandpaper and block as it is fairly rough... then paint and clearcoat...i may even fill with a fiberglass epoxy resin that i use on my boat.

am sure it will look nice when i am finished...

i will get some photos up when i finish
Old 10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES!!!!

You can fix it yourself no problem. Thats my journey that James posted above. Keep in mind I had never done any paint/body work other than building some basic models (that never really turned out that well) as a kid.

Wurth Prepsol, Einzett primer and "silber spray", and Wurth clear. Don't bother looking for the Wurth silver paint, its not available and the einzett works perfect. All things except filler and sand paper were purchased directly from pelican parts. Filler was picked up from the local auto paint store for about $30 and I couldn't ever use it all. Also used McGuires swirl remover in the yellow bottle to smooth them out after clearing. Used on a mothers power ball and worked great. Getting ready to do my second set soon!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:17 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

you did a really nice job on your wheels...i am going to use an epoxy based filler that i use on my boat.....the paint and clear that you recommended i already purchased and should be here in a few days

i have a bit of experience with paint touch ups...as everyone knows trying to touch up silver metallic on the body of the car is a b_tch but i am now quite good at it since most of my porsches have been silver
.......the secret is to use the special pro paint Q tip and use several coats to suspend the metallic flakes so they do not settle and go dark.

spraying the wheels should be fairly easy but the work is in the prep!!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a tip for avoiding curb rash: adjust your right side mirror downward, so that you can see the RR fender/wheel area. When you're parallel parking, all you have to do is look in that mirror, and you can park your car an inch or two from the curb every time with no risk of hitting the curb.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got it!

More info on suspending the metallic bits?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Nuff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that the worst sound? Like fingernails on a chalkboard ... but worse.

Quick Reply: curb rash on my cup wheel today...damn it!!