Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Buying a 97 C2S

Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the Chicago area, if you need someone to take a look just let me know. Would be more than happy to get you all the details etc.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:51 PM
KeithR3
Pro

I'm in Chicago too. Let me know if I can help. I'll look over that thing with a fine tooth comb. PM Me.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:46 AM
b2bomber
Track Day

Thanks Streetfigher/KeithR3, I have relatives there. They actually went and looked at the car tonight. It is a sad story that I can never catch a break finding what I am looking for. I've alway like the white/black 993 and this car turns out to be another waste of time. The result was so bad that my cousin actually got into an argument with the seller for advertising the way he did and waste buyer's time. As it turns out the seller has no clue what was done to the car since new, lied about the new clutch and only had records for about 5 oil change, whole stereo system is shot, loose/rewiring under the dash and behind front bumper, the car appears to be heavily tracked, whole front end and driver side rear quarter were repainted, windshield replaced with cheap after market brand, PPI was a joke which shows nothing but a simple walk around the car. Excess wear and tear on seats, pedals, steering wheel, interior panels which strikes me the odometer reading is not authentic.
Well, the search continues on......
Old 10-31-2007, 06:33 AM
drummin4fun
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get discouraged... your patience and dilligence will pay great dividends, and you will find just the car you want.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by b2bomber
Thanks Streetfigher/KeithR3, I have relatives there. They actually went and looked at the car tonight. It is a sad story that I can never catch a break finding what I am looking for. I've alway like the white/black 993 and this car turns out to be another waste of time. The result was so bad that my cousin actually got into an argument with the seller for advertising the way he did and waste buyer's time. As it turns out the seller has no clue what was done to the car since new, lied about the new clutch and only had records for about 5 oil change, whole stereo system is shot, loose/rewiring under the dash and behind front bumper, the car appears to be heavily tracked, whole front end and driver side rear quarter were repainted, windshield replaced with cheap after market brand, PPI was a joke which shows nothing but a simple walk around the car. Excess wear and tear on seats, pedals, steering wheel, interior panels which strikes me the odometer reading is not authentic.
Well, the search continues on......
So, out of curiosity, what' the asking price for this POS?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:01 PM
CarreraX
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea, what was the asking price and will he take a nice NB as a trade? I would enjoy tidying something like that up if the price was right!
Old 10-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and Old saying from my days in the retail auto world.

You can never pay enough for a great car, and you can never pay too little for a turd. No matter how much money you throw at the turd......its still a turd.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:28 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil
and Old saying from my days in the retail auto world.

You can never pay enough for a great car, and you can never pay too little for a turd. No matter how much money you throw at the turd......its still a turd.

ROFLMAO !! That's outstanding Phil......love it.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by kdurg
ROFLMAO !! That's outstanding Phil......love it.
Thanks Keith.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
b2bomber
Track Day

The seller wants $42k for a worn clutch, no top-end rebuild, repainted and no service record C2S, is that still worth it? If the car is worth $60k after putting everything back in its place, I might think about spending the money/time getting everything done right again but I doubt it.

On a different note, can someone with ownership on both the 87-89 Carrera and the 993 enlighten me on the long term driving impression of the two? Which one did you ended up keeping and why?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by b2bomber
The seller wants $42k for a worn clutch, no top-end rebuild, repainted and no service record C2S, is that still worth it? If the car is worth $60k after putting everything back in its place, I might think about spending the money/time getting everything done right again but I doubt it.
HUH? how would the car be worth 60k after "putting it back together"
ok lets begin with some basic questions

1) why was the car repainted?
a) Do you think a repainting a car adds value?
2)why does the car need a top end rebuild?
3) car has no service records.....so are you gonna get some service records made up to add value to the car?

Now for some interesting tidbits......

When buying a car, most people assume the car has an engine that runs, so a rebuilt engine does not add value....same for transmissions, clutchs etc....

Please please tell us how a car that prolly needs close to 10k or more in work, just to make it drivable is gonna go up in value.....ok lets do the math

42k for car
10k for engine/clutch= 52k.......now lets deduct the repaint, and lack of service records............etc....

a turd is a turd, no matter how much money you throw at it!!!!.....
Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 382 Posts

Asking price of $42K is about $7000 too high and about $10,000 more than he could hope to actually get for it. Who knows, though, there's a sucker born every minute. From what you're saying, it looks like at least $10K to get it up to speed and probably another $10K on top of that to really do it right.

Several recent threads on 993 vs G-50 Carrera, but consensus seems to be on the side of 993.

-Jim
Old 10-31-2007, 04:37 PM
lucycan
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 227 Posts

I'm seeing perfect 96/97 C2Ss with 10-20k miles going for $60 to $70k.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow this thread is confusing. First, the engine is strong. Then we don't know. Now for some unknown reason it needs an upper end rebuild?? Huh? Just because it has 81k doesn't mean it needs a rebuild.

But if it's a beat-up POS, it's not worth 40k or anything near it.

BTW, b2bomber, you say it's been "heavily tracked" but how do you know that? Racey mods would point to yes. A tell-tale sign is to look at the calipers; if the PORSCHE lettering is yellow, it's been tracked a good bit. If still white, it hasn't been tracked much.

Hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by TheOtherEric; 10-31-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 97 C2S