Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Nice 993 color combo FS but...

Old 10-27-2007, 03:05 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice 993 color combo FS but...

Found this nice one owner silver/red color combo and price is ok.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...r_id=228442346

It looks to be the brighter red interior which is quite nice IMHO. Carfax report is disappointing with prior collision and emissions problems. Good thing for Carfax.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:35 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
Carfax report is disappointing with prior collision and emissions problems.
That's really a mischaracterization of what the Carfax says. It says the car was inspected for damage at a collision repair facility, which could have been from a scratch or a parking lot ding or whatever. The Carfax simply does not say that the car was in a "collision." It failed and then passed an emissions inspection on the same day, and passed all subsequent inspections -- hardly what I'd call "emissions problems."

Carfax isn't the holy grail. The Carfax report on my 993, for example, indicated odometer fraud, but Carfax was simply wrong -- which it frequently is. My car was owned by the same guy for years and I have every book and service record for it, and the "odometer fraud" was purely a consequence of the PO moving to a different state a re-registering the car. Carfax is a starting point when you're buying a car, not an ending point.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,780 Likes on 1,704 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Carfax is a starting point when you're buying a car, not an ending point.
+1000. I can't count the number of times people on RL have seen something they don't like in a carfax and walk away without further investigation. These are computer generated reports bound to have errors. I've bought two cars with incorrect information in the carfax report. If I hadn't looked beyond the report, I would've missed out on two great cars.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:03 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like flamenco red interior, had that on a gran prix white 993 and it was beautiful. Not so sure with the bluish tinge to the polar silver, though ... a little too Carmen Miranda for me.

Regardless of whether the Carfax is accurate, it will still be a challenge to sell the car down the road if you buy it, for the same reason you are hesitant about it now. Caveat emptor.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to agree that Carfiction isnt the only criteria by one should shop by. Its been reported many many times of errors within the Carfax system.

Nice color combo!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:29 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the correct name for the interior color Flamenco Red?

The Carfax just helps with the initial "screening" in IMHO. If it looks reasonable, other inspections should tell the buyer what hasn't been reported to Carfax ie roll-back, collision damage as well as the overall condition of the car. As far as discrimination because of Carfax, well, yes. I'm not going 2500 miles to have a look after a sketchy start on a dealer car.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:33 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That was the brighter red of the interiors offered in 95, unless it's a leather-to-sample car. There is also "chestnut" which is kind of a terracotta color. But flamenco is not nearly as bright or loud as Can-Can red, or lipstick red, etc.

Boxster red came out in 97, kind of supplanted most of the other reds.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nice 993 color combo FS but...