Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Front slotted/dimpled brake rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:50 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front slotted/dimpled brake rotors?

I've been trying to find a good solution to the cracking problem with the drilled rotors on the front of my 993, but have struck out on all the places I've contacted. With one exception.

I've been in contact with a guy at FrozenRotors, the cryogenic rotor place. He doesn't have a solution right now (other than a whole big brake Brembo kit, which is probably overkill for me now), but he thinks he can build a set of front slotted or dimpled, vented two piece rotors. His original cost estimate is about $1500, but if they will last two times longer than the current cryo'd ones, I suspect I'd be better off.

I've sent him some photos and measurements of the rotor to caliper spacing, and he thinks it is doable.

He asked that I post this message to gauge interest in these rotors. He has said that he's got 996, 997 and Cayman owners asking also. I suspect this is a new opportunity for them, and if we could spread the development cost over many sets (rather than just one for me ), it might bring the cost per axle down. I don't know for sure, but suspect once you have a set of hats made, the replacement rotors might be less expensive the next time you need some.

This is not a group buy situation now. I don't know when they might be available, but had targetted spring next year (in time for the DE season start in the Pacific NW).

I'll report back to my contact in several weeks, and get back to you when I hear more.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 12:55 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

For $1500, he'd better be using Brembo, AP, Alcon or PF rotors, not some Coleman crap. With the rise in popularity of two-piece rotors with the import tuner crowd, there are many low price, low quality components around. Check out Coleman or Wilwood pricing--you can find bare rotors for ~$100 each but they likely won't last anywhere near as well as plain stock 993 parts.

Check the provenance of the rotors with him. If he hems and haws or "won't reveal his supplier" run away!
Old 10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have slotted and dimpled rotors on my Viper. Cost about $110 a piece. Maybe they make them for 993's also.

$1500 seems too high.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You could always try TT/RS discs instead:

TT/RS Disks on a non TT/RS
Old 10-26-2007, 02:04 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

All good answers, but I've not been able to find an AP, Wilwood, StopTech or any other rotors that are not cross-drilled. Everyone seems to offer either Zimmerman (drilled and don't last long), or Porsche OEM (cast and should last longer). Otherwise it seems that you need to install a Brembo Big Red setup, which is around $3500.

The cryo'd Porsche OEM rotors are about $500 for a set of fronts. Which is my other possibility.

If anyone has a pointer to a non-drilled rotor that will fit the front of a stock 993, I'd definitely be interested!

Thanks
Old 10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock rotor are not drilled, they have holes cast into them - but yes, they do develop small cracks. The cracks are only a problem when they start to extend from hole to hole (small "stars" around an individual hole is not a big deal). I got rid of the stock rotors in favor of VCI's slotted, floating rotors to get rid of the problem of the holes filling up with pad material and needing cleaning all the time. I've been happy with the rotor wear and brake performance using pagid yellows with them.

The VCI info is here: http://www.vehiclecraft.com/
A great summary of brake information has been compiled by Bill Verburg and is here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/MotorCity/wmv/brakes.htm
Old 10-26-2007, 03:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

$1500 per pair of rotors alone? Considering I can get rotors from Sunset for $110 or so, this is not cost effective. That's nearly seven pairs of small black brake rotors.

I guess for me, since 9M's headers cost $8,000, this is a week of non-cost effectiveness.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:47 PM
stevedowd911
Advanced

Ahh.... If I could only order from Sunset, but those of us in OR and WA can't get the same deal as the rest of the country, dang it.

I do think the $1500 was a little high, and I appreciate the validation of that thought. I just don't want to have to change rotors that often (OK, its really about once a year, but then I have to find some, get them shipped to my house, worry about how much they've cracked, etc).

I've got one other motorsports place to talk to locally, and I'll get back with whatever information I can glean from him.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Try Sunrise

Rotor life is all about temperature, keep them cool and they last forever, @1500F life expectancy is minutes.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:09 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Does anyone make a alm alloy rotor hat? If you can get a nice hat made, then all you need to do is order the proper size rotor, it should be much less then $1500. Maybe some place like Girodisc will make us one?

FWIW, Alcon make a very, dam fine rotor!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Does anyone make a alm alloy rotor hat? If you can get a nice hat made, then all you need to do is order the proper size rotor, it should be much less then $1500. Maybe some place like Girodisc will make us one?

FWIW, Alcon make a very, dam fine rotor!
CDOC has them for their 322mm tt/RS front setup and slotted rotors to w/ them.

the same hats would also work w/ the smaller 304mm n/a rotor size.

Custom hats can be purcased from a # of places Prosystems is one

Quick Reply: Front slotted/dimpled brake rotors?