Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Potential new home for my 993 (part 2 :o)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Potential new home for my 993 (part 2 :o)

Well, the 2nd house we put a contract on fell through 2 weeks ago due to the home inspection coming up with $55k worth of stuff (new cedar shake roof needed 2 years ago, new gutters, lots of rotting exterior wood on house, electrical and plumbing stuff, etc). So, now I don't have to worry about where I'll park my daily driver on that cul de sac anymore.

We wrote a contract on a newer house today and submitted it. It will be presented tomorrow and we're crossing our fingers. It's a funky house but we love it. There's no street in front of it as it's on a mews. Pretty unusual. You have to walk to a sidewalk to get to it and the detached garage is in the rear. It's larger than our current garage by a little so that's good. It's not attached so that's not great, but not awful (unless it's torrentially raining). It's only a few steps into the house. You have to drive down an alley in back of the house to get to the garage. At first I didn't like that at all, but the house is so nice inside that we decided in the end, it's fine. Kind of like living in the city, but in the suburbs. A house this size would have been twice as much in Chevy Chase MD so we're happy with it, assuming they take our contract and sell it to us. It's been on the market for 5 months now. We just sold our house (pending the results of our home inspection today) so we have 60 days to move (unless we rent back for a month).

Nothing like zero lot lines... here's the garage

Gosh this looks small in pics. If things get tight money wise, we can always rent the apt above this garage for $600+ a month, paying for all my 993 expenses

The only thing about renting out the garage apt is that they'd have to put up with a very loud 993 underneath it leaving in the morning and coming back at night

Here's the alley I'd have to drive the 993 down to get to the garage

It looks like suburban/urban hell but it's actually a great, friendly community. Tons of people to meet as everyone walks, like in the city. All the neighbors are so friendly but none of them have Porsches.

No street in the front of the house... just woods and crickets. I hated it at first, as I can't park in front of the house, but now I think it's great. It's just different than what I'm used to. It's the 2nd house in... the curving street around the "mews" is where my daily driver would sit. It's right in front of the first house in this pic, not too far away.

We need this much house and inside space like a hole in the head

Not sure the purpose for a double stairway, but it's visually cool

I think my wife approves...

Not sure what to do with all these extra rooms that we don't have now. Maybe a Porsche tribute room? I have alot of framed posters and Porsche stuff

And lastly, the door to the garage. How sweet it will be to drive off from our new house in the 993.

Crossing my fingers it all works out. I'll let you all know and post some 993 pics in the new garage.

Steve R
Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful house you have there. I really like that kitchen, and the fireplace. I would like to see pictures of the coach house. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:50 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks Streetfighter. The kitchen is alot bigger than the one we have now. The neighbor's house is a bit smaller but she still managed to put a ping pong table in the "bump out" part by the palladian window. I thought that was pretty cool. Her and her kid play alot I guess.

You asked for pics of the coach house...here's the stairway to it above the garage

Hmmm, what's inside?

Just a bathroom and a small, very small bedroom/living room/hot plate area instead of a kitchen

It does have cool views of the house though

Steve R
Old 10-20-2007, 12:09 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

I like that house. Looks very nice and modern inside! I hope things work out for you guys!!
Old 10-20-2007, 03:53 AM
djames
Instructor

Very nice Steve. I hope it all works out for you this time., Best of luck.

Drew
Old 10-20-2007, 04:31 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh,
I thought you bought a MUCH larger home, for your daughter? You and the wife needed to have a larger home than the DAD had......?????????????????
Old 10-20-2007, 08:16 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Steve,
very nice... good luck. an apt. in the carriage house is an excellent option... think about it... its your home away from home...
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

I like this one better than the other two, and I hate zero lot line houses. That room above the garage is where your tribute room should go!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
I like this one better than the other two, and I hate zero lot line houses. That room above the garage is where your tribute room should go!
I hear ya about zero lot line homes... Never in a million years did I think I'd go for one, but my wife really wants to move here to be near her daughter (who lives with her dad during the week, we have her on weekends)

It's surely a great way to meet alot of neighbors though! Yeah, it's a little Stepford wives-ish, but ... she's my wife and that's what she wants. She's ok with me keeping my 993 and that's the good part of all this.

And yes, maybe the carriage house would make a great Porsche tribute room. I doubt anyone would want to rent it with our cars going in and out a couple of times a day, especially if I get a louder exhaust set up.

Steve R
Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice! The alley access looks quite civilized ( you don't know what first crossed my mind when you mentioned 'alley' ) , and will assure considerable peace and quiet from traffic noise.
The room above the garage - looks like a potential home office, tax write-off ....
Old 10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Steve,
Everything about the house looks great. However, the ally and zero property spacing between houses on both sides are kind of scary - to me anyway. I like my neighbors 75 - 100 ft away... So long as you do not get claustrophobia you will be ok??? and your neighbors don't mind loud exhaust...
Old 10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Good luck, Steve! BTW, why are the AC compressors elevated off of the ground?
Old 10-20-2007, 12:39 PM
NOH20
Racer

Looks like a Pulte homes lay out. Nice - good luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:04 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve- where is that, like Germantown? I've been gone a while, so I'm a little out of the loop...

Last edited by dcdude; 10-21-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Not sure what to do with all these extra rooms that we don't have now. Maybe a Porsche tribute room? I have alot of framed posters and Porsche stuff
Sounds like a plan... die cast models, books, literature, a Porsche Study!

Quick Reply: Potential new home for my 993 (part 2 :o)