Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Potential new home for my 993 (part 2 :o)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S

Marantec garage door opener? Never heard of it but I'll google it and get one maybe. They're that much better than Sear's best one?
Yes it is, especially if you might live or work above the garage area. In our home the old garage door opener would have woke our baby. The new one it is barely audible. Not that much more expensive than the Sears or equivalent model, I think ours was $300 including install. Marantec only sells through dealers not directly to the retail customer.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Good luck, Steve! BTW, why are the AC compressors elevated off of the ground?
I wondered that too. My guess is you are pretty much guaranteed a level platform where a concrete pad can settle and move over time. AC units don't like to be on a less than level platform.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:45 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
I wondered that too. My guess is you are pretty much guaranteed a level platform where a concrete pad can settle and move over time. AC units don't like to be on a less than level platform.
+1

Andreas
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steve...

Andreas is offering good advice about your roof issue...

Real Estate Contracts by state law specify what a defect is.....usually it involve a latent defect or flaw not visible to the potential buyer....the purchase contract allows for a inspection and or secondary inspections.....the buyer via an addendum to the purchase contract can request that a defect be repaired......

If your roof is defective rather than just being older...you can opt to repair on your nickle, offer a credit at closing, negotiate or refuse....of course, if the latter , the buyer can normally walk with their deposit.......

If your buyer just wishes he had a new roof ( and your roof is truly not defective and was not misrepresented in the offering) then he can replace after he closes....Is this a case of buyer's remorse?

Buyers are more leary in this market....but a contract for specific performance is just that..... a good experienced real estate broker and or agent can guide you....if they are on both sides of the deal....get some unbiased advice

Last edited by Berkley; 10-22-2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:18 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berkley
the seller via an addendum to the purchase contract can request that a defect be repaired......

Should say "buyer"

Steve,
Give me a ring tomorrow if you want some thoughts regarding the home inspection on your present home. As always, free of charge.

Andreas
Old 10-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Berkley
Andreas is offering good advice about your roof issue...

Real Estate Contracts by state law specify what a defect is.....usually it involve a latent defect or flaw not visible to the potential buyer....the purchase contract allows for a inspection and or secondary inspections.....the seller via an addendum to the purchase contract can request that a defect be repaired......

If your roof is defective rather than just being older...you can opt to repair on your nickle, offer a credit at closing, negotiate or refuse....of course, if the latter , the buyer can normally walk with their deposit.......
Thx folks. I wish it was merely a case of the buyer wanting a new roof... the home inspection says "The roof is at the end of it's useful life. Cracking and clawing of shingles are the result of long term weathering and an advanced shingle age. Felts are showing through. Anticipate the need to replace the roof covering soon. The roof should be replaced before it begins leaking to avoid unnecessary water damage. A licensed roofing contractor should be called to make furthur evaluation and repairs as needed."

It's a 20 year roof and it's 20 years old. They're asking for 1/2 the cost of a roof replacement which should be around $8k (1/2 of about $16k at the most) or so. Dang... that's the cost of a top end rebuild plus some mods on my car. Oh well... I guess it's just the cost of selling your 20 year old home sometimes. We don't want to lose these buyers... we can't afford to. The seller just accepted our contract on the "new" home we like so it's time to "get out of dodge".

The Marantec garage door sounds like the way to go after checking out the link you sent me, Greg. I'm excited to contact a local dealer and get one.

Steve R
Old 10-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Yep

Thanks Andreas...I fixed it....huh, the typo not Steve's roof
Old 10-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck Steve. Hey I want to rent out that room. My Turbo would look good in the garage next to yours. {just kidding}
Old 10-22-2007, 11:48 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Steve

Why don't you get a "licensed roof contractor" to pass judgement?....Everything I have seen on home inspection reports in the last five years has had a "CYA disclaimer" by the inspector..... Of course, unless the offending issue is so obvious that a blind man would cite the defect...... then they wax and wane so eloquently about the repair and estimated cost...Remember your buyer selected and paid the home inspector

I know you fear losing your buyer.....but $8,000 to $10,000 in after-tax dollars is not insignificant

Last edited by Berkley; 10-23-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Berkeley,

Good point. Instead of getting estimates for replacing it we should be getting advice on if it's needed right now or not. Why would a roofer tell us it doesn't need to be replaced though? 20 year old roof, 20 years old. The thing is, our roofing company that did our vinyl wrapped trim last year said our roof was fine and didn't need to be replaced for a while... They're one of the ones that are coming out tomorrow as well as one of buyer's roofing estimator.

Steve R
Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Steve,
Berkley makes some really good points.

I deal with home inspectors all the time. Unfortunately, there are a ton of yahoos out there. They'll miss a 50-foot-wide sinkhole in the front yard, but will release flatus ad nauseum on the looming catastrophe that is a rubber washing machine supply hose.

Maddening, I say.

Andreas
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks guys, we got it! At least, pending something awful in the home inspection. We got $35k off their asking price. They originally asked $185k more for the home this summer in June! This is alot of money for us, and we'll be a bit broke for a while, and I need to find a new job as mine ends soon, but ... I got my 993 to keep me happy when skies are grey.

Marantec garage door opener? Never heard of it but I'll google it and get one maybe. They're that much better than Sear's best one?

The buyer for our home want us to split a new roof with them. They say ours is 20 years old and it's a 20 year roof and needs replacing... Ouch. There goes another $10k...

Steve R
Schweet!! Congrats!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:32 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Steve,
Berkley makes some really good points.

I deal with home inspectors all the time. Unfortunately, there are a ton of yahoos out there. They'll miss a 50-foot-wide sinkhole in the front yard, but will release flatus ad nauseum on the looming catastrophe that is a rubber washing machine supply hose.

Maddening, I say.

Andreas
You are absolutely correct. When I sold my last home I had a buyer's "inspector" inspect my roof from the street level! The dumb *** said my roof was unsafe to walk on... but I noticed he did not have a ladder either... what an jerk...

Steve, don't just give in to the buyer's demands unless you just want to be done with the house you are selling.

George
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

We're having our own roof guy come out today to let us know if it's "defective" or not. Great advice.

Now, about that garage door opening system, the people at our local place
http://www.clozermaticdoor.com/

say that the Marantec of 5 years ago was problem free, but the newer ones suck as they're constantly needing repair. He HIGHLY recommended the Liftmatic 3280 belt drive as it's faster and just as quiet as the Marantec, but never needs repair. He dropped his price 15% from $438 to $372 for me. Same price as Sear's best one.

I think I'm going for it. We now have 30 days to move pending the home inspection. Really excited.

Steve R

Quick Reply: Potential new home for my 993 (part 2 :o)