Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   silverstar ultra first impressions (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/385676-silverstar-ultra-first-impressions.html)

tj90 10-18-2007 12:38 AM

silverstar ultra first impressions

Well, my 2nd set of silverstars burned out on wifeys SUV this weekend. I decided to upgrade from the regular silverstars to the ultra version. On the packaging they claim:
1) Up to 20% brighter light (vs. "standard product")
2) Increased downroad viewing 25% (vs. standard product)
3) Up to 30% more life compared to silverstar.

Remember Im on my 3rd set due to bulb longevity issues. I only seem to get 1-1.5 years out of them. I decided to buy the ultra set - $50 at pep boys, versus $37 for the standard ultra. I was primarily looking for a longer life bulb. I read on other forums that the ultras offered a brighter and slightly bluer light than the silverstar.

I installed the 9003 ultra on the burned bulb and left the standard silverstar in.

The result? I can tell absolutely no qualitative difference btw the 2 bulbs. I hope they are genuinely longer lasting, but the price difference probably does not justify the additional cost. The color seems the same and no difference in light on the road. If you already have silverstar, save your money and replace when they go out. Its up to you whether to spend the extra dough...

I highly recommend the standard silverstar over std halogen, however. As far as longevity, my pickup silverstars have lasted forever, but to be fair, I drive it less at night. I dont think its my wifes truck is killing them either - Ive read others complaining about silverstar longevity....

kkim 10-18-2007 07:53 AM

You do know that for a bit more money, you can just get HID kits off Ebay now days for about $100, right? :)

tj90 10-18-2007 10:24 AM

Ive never considered HID for cars with a single bulb since you traditionally lose hi beam. Is that still the case?

RallyJon 10-18-2007 10:31 AM

With a single bulb 9003/H4, look for the HID kits with the motorized hood that switches from low to high. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320170610367

Quadcammer 10-18-2007 01:11 PM

It seems like he delivers an ok product, but man the grammar is awful on that listing.

tj90 10-18-2007 01:34 PM

Thanks for the tip guys. I should have made the jump to HID. Oh well, that was the intent with my posting - communicating my initial dissatisfaction with the silverstar ultra so others can make a more informed decision. Now if the ultra lasts longer say 2-3 years, then they may warrant the extra cost.

Ill wait for these silverstars to burn out and Ill go HID. Price should be even cheaper as these products saturate the market. I remember on the HID group buy, 250 was a great price, a 1.5 year later now 100 is a great price...

RallyJon 10-18-2007 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Quadcammer (Post 4688943)
It seems like he delivers an ok product, but man the grammar is awful on that listing.

No experience with that product. Just an the first example I found in a quick Google. There are many vendors and products to choose from now.

f8vr993 10-19-2007 01:04 PM

I agree in that these Silverstar don't last very long...:crying:
I might give it a try on new Hella unit that I saw at Pepboys.

BufordTJ 10-19-2007 03:13 PM

Replaced the lamps in my 00' Tundra with Silverstars three years ago and they are still working. Replaced the lamps in wifes 02' Camry before selling it and they lasted about 2 months (not too happy). They both went out at the same time, although the factory ones did the same. I found this strange, but I'm not an electrical expert. But I'm still happy with the ones on the Tundra. They sure beat the crap out of the 993's lights. HID will be soon for me, as soon as I replace the newly broken windshield :banghead:
I also replaced the lamps in the Boxster w/ Silvrstar and it's a big big improvment IMHO. Wifes new TL has HID's and I'm sold no matter what price. :bowdown: Now everything I drive at night sucks. Go HID!

RallyJon 10-19-2007 03:27 PM

About the Silverstars--you guys know there is a difference between the US market ones (that are poorly regarded) and the ROW ones that are great bulbs?

Look for non-US market Osram (rather than Sylvania) branded Silverstar bulbs on Ebay and elsewhere.

2Many Cars 10-19-2007 03:33 PM

I put HIDs on my low beams, euro Silverstars on the highs and put yellow tint halogens in the fogs (all sourced from EBay). Still use the HIDs only 95% of the time.

Butzi 10-19-2007 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by RallyJon (Post 4693518)
About the Silverstars--you guys know there is a difference between the US market ones (that are poorly regarded) and the ROW ones that are great bulbs?

Look for non-US market Osram (rather than Sylvania) branded Silverstar bulbs on Ebay and elsewhere.

This is SO true! Please take note. I had the US version, lasted less than a year on my Lexus SUV. Replaced with a standard bulb for half the price, will not go back.

Here's a good resource (or, at least was): http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html