993 Forum 1995-1998

PPI Results - help pls

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Bear in mind, you can get a CEL for non-SAI reasons. Wornywheel and a loose belt come to mind. Maybe someone can elaborate?
Very true, but the mechanic already told him it was an SAI code.

Plugged SAI is just one of a LONG list of things that will throw a CEL, but everyone gets so balled up about SAI that they assume a CEL means an SAI problem.

A loose belt may cause a CEL and a "misfire" code, BTW.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the compression and corresponding leakdown #s for each cylinder?
4% is not a problem
8% is a bit high
Was there 1 at 8% and others were at 4%?
What is the compression # on the cylinder(s) at 8%?

Did the shop doing the PPI draw any conclusions based on these #s?
That is what they are being paid to do... imo.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also get a CEL related to the SAI system from a bad check valve, or even a disconnected air line, which happened on my car (right after I did the top end and it freaked me out).

Leakdown might be a tad high, but then again, if the car hasn't been run much it might not be very indicitave, either. I don't think 8 percent is anything to get particularly alarmed about, it's when five are at 5 percent or less and one is 30 percent that you have to worry. It also depends if it was done on a cold engine or a warm engine, etc.

Keep in mind that unless you are in a state where emission testing is mandatory, clogged SAI passages do not affect how the car runs at all, it only makes the car fail emissions, and even then, the car will pass a tailpipe test if the state allows it.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM
lthatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest that an 8% cylinder leakdown on its' own is a reason not to buy the car. Why else do you get a PPI but to identify significant problems like this?
Just move on.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:41 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
What are the compression and corresponding leakdown #s for each cylinder?
4% is not a problem
8% is a bit high
Was there 1 at 8% and others were at 4%?
What is the compression # on the cylinder(s) at 8%?

Did the shop doing the PPI draw any conclusions based on these #s?
That is what they are being paid to do... imo.
X2 this is good advice. If the shop found one cylinder with unusually high leakdown and/or low compression, they should have done a little more investigation into that cylinder. It is not unusual, for example, for a piece of carbon to lodge between the valve and seat and create a higher-than-normal leakdown number (although this is typically limited to a situation in which the plugs have been R&R'd).
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,426 Likes on 2,699 Posts
Default another important cost issue!!!

is the fact that the brake fluid can solidify and clog the ABS pump which is a $2800 item plus labor to install...in a previous post i mentioned that i was puzzled as to why i hadn't heard more mention of the clogged brake ABS pump as it is a very real issue and common among cars that have not been serviced properly
Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
mr_fizz
Instructor

thanks for all of the responses. I spoke with the mechanic this morning and here are some updates/clarifying points.

- the SAI related code was P1423. This code did not throw a CEL. The mechanic has driven the car twice for 15 minutes with no CEL. He is going to drive the car cold a couple of more times to see if anything happens. Anyone know what that code means?

- Leak down by cylinder (1 - 6): 5%, 4%, 4%, 8%, 8%, 6%. He did not do a compression test, but said that leak down tests can vary depending on how much / hard the car has been driven (i.e., carbon build-up).

- the 30K service wasnt done be a porsche dealership and he's pretty convinced that the brake fluid has never been changed. he said there is no way to assess the integrity of the ABS pump, but that the brake pedal and brakes feel fine, but do need a proper bleeding.

- according to the mechanic and a fellow RL'er the car drives very well and feels mechanically solid.

Thanks for all of the input. At this point im concerned about the leak down results, but maybe you guys can help me interpret the results in terms of future headaches/repair costs.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
Bear in mind, you can get a CEL for non-SAI reasons. Wornywheel and a loose belt come to mind. Maybe someone can elaborate?
What's a wornywheel?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:14 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those leakdown numbers are not awful. Worst case scenario, you may have to address the top end at some point, but that can be done relatively cheaply -- I had mine done for $3500 north of Boston. If the car runs well, and is priced reasonably, with the color and options you are looking for, pounce on it.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not buy a car that has 10 year old brake fluid -- period! I guess I'm a bit nitpicky that way, but I actually drive my cars -- a lot.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 PM
Laura
Pro

Can you verify that Fault code #? I know a little about SAI problems and that code is not familiar.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:07 PM
renn911
Instructor

The 8% compression would be a show stopper for me personally. As a point of reference my (recently sold 96 C2) had one cylinder at 4% and the rest at 2 and 3 with ~60,000 miles.

As mentioned, if it is a SAI CEL it won’t go away without minimally cleaning the ports. That will set you back ~$1200, unless you’re mechanically inclined and tackle the DIY. That will only cost you around $3000 in fittings, Techron, plugs, cables and your time

Best of luck with your search!

Quick Reply: PPI Results - help pls