Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Replacement Clutch Cost Question (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/384408-replacement-clutch-cost-question.html)

Denise993 10-12-2007 05:21 PM

Replacement Clutch Cost Question

OK, so I've been told I'm going to have to replace my clutch soonish ... :crying:

Can you guys give me an idea as to what this will cost me -- all in -- parts and labor... maybe turn the fly wheel and replace the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing? Not that I know any of this... a friend told me what to ask :)

I could have asked the shop... but I really didn't want to know at the time ... now it's getting worse and I'm trying to figure how much of my year-end bonus I should put aside.

She's got 68k miles on her... it seems early to me... or am I just imagining that?

TRINITONY 10-12-2007 05:31 PM

pm dhicks, he recently had his done by Taylor at ASG...

WHB Porsche 10-12-2007 05:33 PM

She's got 68k miles on her... it seems early to me... or am I just imagining that?
Possible early for a non-SC car!

MarkD 10-12-2007 05:39 PM

Denise,
68K miles with that extra HP in front of it (or is it behind it in these cars?) isn't bad at all... some with stock HP need a clutch before then. Depends on previous driver habits.

Cost? Clutch parts should be around $2K with replacement flywheel. About $1600 if you source parts yourself... a shop will mark up parts cost a bit.
Labor depends on shop.
I am sure others will chime in with total non-DIY pricing.

Other stuff should be looked at while it is out since it can save you $$ in the long run. RMS, slave cyl, hose, PS belt, etc.

Texas993 10-12-2007 05:54 PM

$2k. Did it on my former 993.

Mark in Baltimore 10-12-2007 06:25 PM

Denise,

I have my stock clutch that I was planning on selling this winter. It has a nearly-new clutch plate disc with maybe 200 miles on it. I bought Rob aka AC993C2S' RS LWF and clutch just after I installed the new plate. My mechanic thought the flywheel looked great and didn't warrant replacing, so we didn't. PM me if you're interested.

BTW, I mailed out the spoiler parts yesterday to ASG. They should get them by Monday.

quasr 10-12-2007 09:46 PM

Clutch Replacement

I am having my clutch replaced right now with upper valve cover gaskets, main seal. I expect it to be under $2,500.00 for parts and labor. This of course is at a smaller repair shop. I also just had the flywheel resurfaced a little and not replaced. Was not in bad shape. Best of luck.

TCallas 10-12-2007 11:50 PM

It's probably not a good idea to machine a 993 dual mass flywheel due to the possibility of future misfire faults. At that mileage it would behoove you to replace your flywheel.

FLYT993 10-13-2007 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Denise993 (Post 4669078)
OK, so I've been told I'm going to have to replace my clutch soonish ... :crying:

Can you guys give me an idea as to what this will cost me -- all in -- parts and labor... maybe turn the fly wheel and replace the clutch disk, pressure plate and throwout bearing? Not that I know any of this... a friend told me what to ask :)

I could have asked the shop... but I really didn't want to know at the time ... now it's getting worse and I'm trying to figure how much of my year-end bonus I should put aside.

Denise, you should budget somewhere between 3k-5k. It is NOT cheap. My clutch was replaced at 40k by PO, and I purchased the car with 60k last year. It now has 74k and clutch still feels good. Burning up clutches is mostly attributable to poor driving habits, i.e, slipping the clutch at every launch, or launching the car between 1500-2k (or higher) rpms. The only time I launch the car with over 1k is when I'm on a hill. Robin has 90k on his car and it still has the ORIGINAL clutch!

AM993 10-13-2007 07:51 AM

I recently replaced my clutch, flywheel, clutch release fork & shaft, clutch master & slave cylinders, connecting hose. I bought the parts from various sources for $1.5K. My local mechanic installed it and charged me 8 hours for labor.