Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How do you clean/wash car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 02:26 PM
kuhl 993
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How do you clean/wash car cover?

Any experience out there with washing/cleaning a Porsche car cover? Mine has gotten dirty in storage and wanted to start fresh. I searched the archives and looked on the labels to no avail.

What is recommended?

Thanks much in advance
Old 10-12-2007, 02:39 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends in part on the kind of material your cover is made of. I washed my flannel and Evolution covers in a commercial washer at a big laundromat. You need to find one with the jumbo washers and dryers. Use only warm water and very little, mild soap (my wife gave me some Woolite). I also ran it through the wash a second time without soap but I'm not sure that's really necessary. The flannel cover can be dried in a dryer on low heat but do NOT put your evolution cover in the dryer, it will melt (don't ask me how I know).

Some cleanering establishments may be able to do it for you but I worried about them getting all the soap out. Be sure to tell them not to use any heat if they put the eveloution cover in their dryer. I know one of my covers came with instructions about how to wash it on the car but I was just plain unwilling to try that...maybe if it was on a Pinto.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I also washed (Woolite, warm water) my flannel cover in the washing machine. I then put it out in the back garden (during July) 'spread out over several deck-chairs'. Took a full day to fully dry out - but now it's not 'skanky-looking'.
Gerrry
Old 10-12-2007, 03:28 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On other cars, I have washed the cover while on the car, then turned it inside out, repeated, then finished by washing the car itself.

Woolite and a soft brush or car wash mitt sounds good!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:33 PM
kuhl 993
Advanced

Thanks All...great ideas. Mine is "skanky" looking to be sure
Old 10-12-2007, 05:08 PM
techno99
Racer

Thunderstorms wash mine a few times a year. In the past whenever I washed them I notices they didn't last nearly as long.

Quick Reply: How do you clean/wash car cover?