Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Testing coils? PROBLEM SOLVED. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/384214-testing-coils-problem-solved.html)

SPIKES 10-11-2007 07:43 PM

Testing coils? PROBLEM SOLVED.

been asking this question and have not had a response. searched the forums as well.
is there a way to check the coils for the spark plugs?
anybody know what plug lead resistance should be?
thanks for any insight.:)

SPIKES 10-12-2007 06:21 PM

from the lack of response i assume nobody can relate....:crying:

Land Jet 10-12-2007 06:25 PM

Try a PM to Jason Andreas or Steve Weiner. Both are long time Porsche techs on this forum. One of them will know the answer.

SPIKES 10-12-2007 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Land Jet (Post 4669278)
Try a PM to Jason Andreas or Steve Weiner. Both are long time Porsche techs on this forum. One of them will know the answer.

thanks for the response...i will try that.:)

MarkD 10-12-2007 06:58 PM

Plug wire resistance should be about 3kOhm end to end
Not sure of a good coil test for these cars but there are loads of threads on problems in the area it sounds like you are troubleshooting.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947

By the way, what is the problem?

SPIKES 10-12-2007 07:18 PM

:to_order:

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 4669373)
By the way, what is the problem?

thanks mark
new plugs/rotors/dist caps...clean isv...no vacuum leaks...
car idles at 800 but seems to "rock" :banghead:

when i checked the coils it seems to splutter on one coil while other is smooth.
belt is fine....i want to test it so i can eliminate the coils.
car runs and power delivery is fine.

MarkD 10-12-2007 07:25 PM

Did the problem start after you replaced parts or were they replaced in attempts to fix?
When did the problem begin? Anything worth noting when first noticed?
How many miles on the plug wires? (take a look at night, check for arching)
Firing order correct after caps replaced? (basic I know, but double check!)

SPIKES 10-12-2007 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by MarkD (Post 4669455)
Did the problem start after you replaced parts or were they replaced in attempts to fix? ATTEMPTED TO FIX PLUS CAR NEEDED 30K SERVICE
When did the problem begin? Anything worth noting when first noticed?
How many miles on the plug wires? (take a look at night, check for arching) 29K
Firing order correct after caps replaced? (basic I know, but double check!) GOOD POINT....I AM CHECKING THAT NEXT

answered questions within quote.
thanks

Garth S 10-12-2007 07:55 PM

If it 'sputters' on one coil and not on the other, switch the coil to dist leads to see if the sputter stays with the coil ... or the dist. head. If the latter, it could be a rotor or cap - if the former, either a coil wire or coil.
I'd have to check, but think that the coil primary leads can also be switched, to repeat the cycle.

Saying this presumes that all these tests are for running on 1 coil, 6 plugs - if I grasp what you were doing.

NP993 10-12-2007 09:08 PM

I'd be curious to know some troubleshooting guidelines for the coils as well. I bought my car a few months ago with 84K on the odo and this is one of those things that I'd like check, just for peace of mind.

SPIKES 10-12-2007 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Garth S (Post 4669532)
If it 'sputters' on one coil and not on the other, switch the coil to dist leads to see if the sputter stays with the coil ... or the dist. head. If the latter, it could be a rotor or cap - if the former, either a coil wire or coil.
I'd have to check, but think that the coil primary leads can also be switched, to repeat the cycle.

Saying this presumes that all these tests are for running on 1 coil, 6 plugs - if I grasp what you were doing.

thanks...i will try it.
noah.....i am sure there has to be some reliable "test" to check the coils.

SPIKES 10-13-2007 02:35 PM

thanks markd and garths for helping........:bowdown:
i started checking the coils again today and found that both coils are good on secondary rotor but bad on the primary...car splutters badly on it.

i double checked the firing order and tdc and then checked the firing order AGAIN and found 2 plug wires were switched:jumper:
i am so relieved and feel a bit stupid by not finding this sooner....
anyway thanks for your efforts.

Land Jet 10-13-2007 07:06 PM

All's well that ends well.

MarkD 10-13-2007 07:21 PM

Great!

It's usually the simple things that get ya.