Notices

993 TO 993TT ENGINE DIFFERENCES??

Old 10-10-2007, 07:43 PM
nitrorocket
User

Default 993 TO 993TT ENGINE DIFFERENCES??

I searched...

I want to know what differences there are in the 993 to 993 internal differences?

Block, crank, rods, cams, heads, etc.

All they all the same long block except for higher compression? Do they have different blocks or heads?? Anyone know all the differences?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Jay993turbo
User

Rods and crank are the same. Heads, pistons, and cylinders on the 993tt are different. 993tt pistons protrude into the combustion chamber to reduce stress on cylinders during combustion, the cylinders are shorter, pistons have a flatter top for lower compression and the heads are single plug with different size valves than the twin plug 993. Maybe someone else (like Steve W.) will chime in with more detail.

Jay
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Napa Valley Realtor
User

Originally Posted by Jay993turbo View Post
Rods and crank are the same. Heads, pistons, and cylinders on the 993tt are different. 993tt pistons protrude into the combustion chamber to reduce stress on cylinders during combustion, the cylinders are shorter, pistons have a flatter top for lower compression and the heads are single plug with different size valves than the twin plug 993. Maybe someone else (like Steve W.) will chime in with more detail.

Jay

The rods are reinforced as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:37 PM
nitrorocket
User

So it is possible with a rod and piston change to essentially be able to throw twins on it and have a tt car with a motor that will last.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Originally Posted by nitrorocket View Post
So it is possible with a rod and piston change to essentially be able to throw twins on it and have a tt car with a motor that will last.
why not just buy a tt to begin with?
Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Napa Valley Realtor
User

you would also want to add the forged cylinders.

i imagine the cost would be more than buying a TT. Also I really doubt resale would come close to equalling a TT.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:24 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with above. If you just want to go down the bolt on path, starting with a TT or trading in a NA car to get a TT would be far wiser. If you want to build something unique then start with whatever base you wish.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Napa Valley Realtor View Post
The rods are reinforced as well.
Nope, bottom end is the same except for a few studs.

p/c are different as are heads(single plug on tt), valves, guides, cams, carriers etc. all different
Old 10-11-2007, 10:19 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

single plug on tt
Now why wouldn't you want to use twin plug heads on a turbo? The extra plug would let you run an extra point of compression for better response, or more boost. Is there some critical weakness in the twin plug heads that make them unsuitable for the TT?
Old 10-11-2007, 04:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Protomotive has been (low-boost) turbocharging the stock 964 and 993 engine for a long time without problems (i think for around $8k).
Old 10-11-2007, 08:23 PM
Napa Valley Realtor
User

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Nope, bottom end is the same except for a few studs.

p/c are different as are heads(single plug on tt), valves, guides, cams, carriers etc. all different

I do not have first hand knowledge.

I am quoting Motor Trend:
"The Turbo's powerplant is basically the same as the powerplant used in the Carrera, only with lower compression, reinforced connecting rods, and upgraded engine cooling systems"

And Road & Track:
"The engine itself receives special tweaks to live under the maximum 11.6 psi of boost; Compression ratio is lowered to 8.0:1; and connecting rods, piston crowns and cylinder heads are reinforced"

It is quite possible the magazines were given the wrong information at the time and just quoted the spec sheets they were given.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Red9
User

Bill Verburg is giving the correct answer.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

It is quite possible the magazines were given the wrong information at the time and just quoted the spec sheets they were given.
To get the complete list just look in the PET engine section for the turbo engine type designation M64.60 on the far right column next to the part description.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:37 PM
Jay993turbo
User

I do not have first hand knowledge.

I am quoting Motor Trend:
"The Turbo's powerplant is basically the same as the powerplant used in the Carrera, only with lower compression, reinforced connecting rods, and upgraded engine cooling systems"

And Road & Track:
"The engine itself receives special tweaks to live under the maximum 11.6 psi of boost; Compression ratio is lowered to 8.0:1; and connecting rods, piston crowns and cylinder heads are reinforced"

Rods and crank are identical. Same part#'s too.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Jay993turbo
User

Extensive machine work will be required for it to be identical to a TT engine. A good machine shop can do pretty much anything I guess but it's not worth it IMHO, better to just buy a TT engine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: