Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 TO 993TT ENGINE DIFFERENCES??

Old 10-12-2007, 12:32 AM
nitrorocket
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Except for sourcing some stock TT pistons and upgrading to billet rods, and tuning, I can make a twin turbo setup for about $5k. I will also have to research if I want either obdII and have it tuned, or jsut go to a standalone.
The TT cars all about $30k more then a non turbo. Plus I don't know if the AWD would handle 600+ whp.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Oh Oh.....

600 + Hp? You will NEED 4wd. - depends on what you are using the car for I 'spose....

As for being just $5K - an exhaust, cats and pipes (good ones anyway - and you will NEED good ones if you are aiming for anything cliose to 600 + Hp) will run more than half of that......

If you are serious - you need to be on the TT forum.....the truth will come out over there....

BOL

Simon

EDIT - I see you asked the same Q's over there - didnt you like the answers?
Old 10-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
Except for sourcing some stock TT pistons and upgrading to billet rods, and tuning, I can make a twin turbo setup for about $5k. I will also have to research if I want either obdII and have it tuned, or jsut go to a standalone.
The TT cars all about $30k more then a non turbo. Plus I don't know if the AWD would handle 600+ whp.
You do realize that you will need the 993tt pistons and cylinders. Those alone are around $4500 last time I checked...

But hey, if you can do it all for that much I say go for it.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:35 AM
Napa Valley Realtor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
To get the complete list just look in the PET engine section for the turbo engine type designation M64.60 on the far right column next to the part description.

To all that replied to my comment, thank you for the correction. I do find it interesting that both Motor Trend and Road and Track reported this fact incorrectly. I also would like to say WOW, how awesome is it that the internals are stout enough to put this kind of power through? Most cars I have worked on will hardly deal with a 50% increase in power, and certainly not in the reliable fashion Porsche would expect. Just goes to show how stout these motors are even in their basic form.

NVR
Old 10-12-2007, 09:14 AM
atan888
Three Wheelin'

Im currently in process of replacing my entire motor of my big bird (c4s) with a 3.8tt (twin plug) with 750whp (pump gas) and way over 800 (race gas) and with AWD. it does cost a lot. more than how much I bought my car for including labor.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:41 PM
nitrorocket
Instructor

I should have added that I am a fabricator, the headers, intercooler, exhaust, etc, I will just whip together myself. That is why I can do this so darn cheap, I have done it before for that price on another car, 800 rwhp on 93 octane.
The part I am researching is the motor end of things. Some mention jugs, besides being cast, is there any difference? What is the hardest anyone has pushed the cast ones? Pistons are cheap($800), so are rods($1800). Stock cams will be fine at only 500-600 rwhp.

I also have to find out how far I can push speed density... I may just buy a Bigstuff3.

Well, time to keep researching... Thanks for the input, really helps!!
Old 10-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Napa Valley Realtor
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nitrorocket
I should have added that I am a fabricator, the headers, intercooler, exhaust, etc, I will just whip together myself. That is why I can do this so darn cheap, I have done it before for that price on another car, 800 rwhp on 93 octane.
The part I am researching is the motor end of things. Some mention jugs, besides being cast, is there any difference? What is the hardest anyone has pushed the cast ones? Pistons are cheap($800), so are rods($1800). Stock cams will be fine at only 500-600 rwhp.

I also have to find out how far I can push speed density... I may just buy a Bigstuff3.

Well, time to keep researching... Thanks for the input, really helps!!
That certainly does change things! I was wondering how you were planning on doing this without spending a small fortune. I do know there are some people running what I believe is a roots style, superchager, on there stock block 911's. I am not sure what kind of RWHP they are putting out, but you could get a durability report from them, as far as the cast cylinders go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 TO 993TT ENGINE DIFFERENCES??