993 Forum 1995-1998

Cross vs KW Variant vs PSS9 vs Moton

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:40 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

typical total bill is over $5,500. This was three years ago, too
Mine ran about $6000 all in off the top of my head a couple of years ago.

running a more street biased spring rate and then adding a couple hundred pounds of nitrogen at the track to firm them up
It's a compromise for sure, depends on what you want/what you can tolerate on the steet/local roads. The experience of your installer (and their relationship with moton who will give you and your shop suggestions). You can tighten the shock up significantly by adjusting compression, although for really long corners the shocks can't compensate completely.
I wanted to have my car set up for 50/50 track/street, I'm running (I'll have to check my notes but) 125lb tender/450lb main in the front and 200lb tender/650lb in the rear. I find for me this is a good compromise, not too stiff for the street at all, and works well at the track.
I found with the motons, every single click of the dials make a significant difference in handling characteristics that you can really feel. Being able to soften the rear shock compression by one click when you're using street tires on the track (thought it was going to rain so kept the street tires on vs r-compound) to correct for over steer makes a huge difference/satisfying to be able to dial it in.

I really like mine, the cool/trick factor also counts for me!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Basal, I'm gonna have to bug you one of these days for a ride in your car. I went with PSS9s for now but I see Motons in my future.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 PM
catchacab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the JIC/Cross 8K/12K package. I am very happy with them. The Motons and JRZ, have more adjustments that I would have probably screwed up. The Cross system is simple to use and has a wide adjustment range. If you are going to be anymore than 20% street, then I would use lower spring rates.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, this is the setup I'm using:
Attached Images  
Old 10-12-2007, 12:01 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

I started with PSS9s, but after a few years, went with Motons. PSS9s are really not that adjustable. I really like my Motons, but, as has been said, they take a while to get adjusted just right. On the street, the Motons ( I have a 993 with #600/#800 springs... an intermediate setup) are very comfortable. I may get stiffer springs, and the nitrogen can just be tweaked to accommodate this, but the street comfort may suffer. I wish I had saved the money by going stepwise through PSS9s, but I was able to sell them and recoup some of the cost. I also considered Cross, but didn't know anyone who had the, so I cannot compare.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I personally wouldn't go crazy. You're not club racing so just pick something easy on the wallet and go have fun . Otherwise you'll end up like me w/ motons and zero rubber in the suspension
http://www.rennsportsystems.com/993.html
http://www.smartracingproducts.com/rearaxle.htm
trying to keep up on the track with guys like Chuck.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:46 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

A great suspension can offset some, but not all of the horsepower that I was watching in my rear view mirror, as Brad was quietly stalking me.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Thatcher1
Banned

KW all day long.. they sponsor one of my cars i couldnt ask for a better coilover.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:25 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

For the Cross guys, where did you source your setups from. I see that Viper Bob is listed as a dealer on the Cross website and I also see that Pelican sells them. Of course, I would like to support a R'list vendor if I can help it.

Given all of the positive feedback and price point, I would say that I am inclined to give the Cross setup a try. Sure, saving every little bit helps and allows me to buy other things like MPSCs, brake pads, rollbar, harnesses, etc.

Quick Reply: Cross vs KW Variant vs PSS9 vs Moton