Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best way to remove injectors?

Old 10-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Marlon
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than terrific gas milage , did anyone experience any other performance issues that pointed to bad or irregularly performing injectors?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're running lean, that can also cause the car to run hot. And you can get all kinds of CEL issues. Lean running causes O2 sensors to max out enrichment and throw codes. When ASG was diagnosing her, Taylor put a probe in the tailpipe with the ignition turned off and turned the engine over by hand. HC's went way up, which suggests leaky injector(s) in that bank.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck Rick.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just brought the injectors into my office (they stink, even triple packed in ziplock bags) and had our staff photographer work her magic. Will post photos in a little while.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I need help, guys. I can't find a diagram in my workshop manual cd. Which slot do the retaining clips go into on the injectors? I didn't make a note of this when I pulled them out. I can't see what purpose these clips serve in either notch. Should I press the injectors into the fuel rail first, then back into the engine or vice versa? I don't know what to do here. I think the right bank has them all in there snug now, but I can't make the fuel rail press down on them. Can I use Sli-Glide on the O-rings? Please help.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Rick,

The top of the clip is flush with the fuel rail. I have some high resolution shots....can you PM your email address and I will send you them. I wll try to post but I have to rework them to a lower resolution.

New O rings are really tight, no problem with some lube on the rings. I would put the injectors into the engine first and then the rail. The clip holds the high pressure side of the fuel line to the injector so you don't get the injectors leaking.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I think I got it all back together right. I didn't feel the soothing click when pressing down the fuel rails, but they all felt pretty snug. I used a tiny, tiny amount of goop on the O-rings. Getting those clips on was not too, too bad, but cyl. #3 was pretty rough. I spent almost a whole hour just getting that allen bolt threaded behind #3. Man, that it a ridiculous angle, almost invisible and I dropped the bolt about 30 times. Luckily, my magnet was very good. So, I buttoned everything up, fired her up and it all sounded fine. I ran a light all around the back with the engine running, saw and smelled no leaks. So I think I'm good to go. Will give her a good long, hard drive to Fredericksburg tomorrow. I hope it's all good.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Sly-Glide is silicone based (i think?) so unless its says something on the packaging about being Oxygen sensor safe I wouldn't use it. Silicone used anywhere near the intake manifold can kill an O2 sensor.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used less than a drop of Sly-Glide between all 12 O-rings and they goop didn't get below the O-rings. I think I'll be ok.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:50 PM
Jay993turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Sly-Glide is silicone based (i think?) so unless its says something on the packaging about being Oxygen sensor safe I wouldn't use it. Silicone used anywhere near the intake manifold can kill an O2 sensor.
How would the silicone make it from the intake manifold to the O2 sensor? It survives the combustion process?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just put 140 miles on her, mostly hwy., but also some stop and go traffic. Temps seem a tad lower, but then it's cool and dry here now. More importantly, fuel economy appears to have gone back down to normal, though that might depend on how much gas I spilled while removing the injectors. Probably not that much. Car drives like a champ, but it always has. Just added 350ml of oil to top her off and that was 1200 miles since I last topped her off. So all signs point to a very healthy engine. That short shifter I installed last weekend sure feels awesome too.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:24 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RL, what did the shop say about your injectors? were they clogged?
Old 10-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

The report says that all but #3 were fair and pulled a 25 in flow rate. #3 got a 24. Not sure if this is cc's or what. After cleaning they read 1-6, 26, 26, 27, 26, 25, 26, respectively. All pintel caps, filler baskets and O-rings were replaced. I guess these different numbers explain why cleaning is so much cheaper than having them rebuilt and matched.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to remove injectors?