993 Forum 1995-1998

Tranny casing leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 255 Posts
Default Tranny casing leak

I noticed some gear fluid under my C4S and traced it to the split halves of the casing. Looks like it needs to be resealed. What's involved in this? I assume a total engine drop. If I decide not to try it myself, how much should I expect in terms of labor hours and parts to do a reseal?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hold on there. IIRC, the tranny isn't in halves like an engine case. Yes, there are some seals there, but I'd do some more investigating before you pay $4k for a teardown and reseal. How badly is it leaking? Do you know exactly where the leak is coming from? I had one too and it turned out to be the tensioning plate seal, where a shop had just put some silicone goop in there instead of the proper gasket. Cost me $2 for the right part from the dealer and I replaced it in under 5 min. In my SC I had my tranny output flange seals go bad and they were cheap too. Selecter rod o-ring can go bad too and leak down. None of these are difficult or expensive.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:30 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Excellent points Rick. I had it at the dealer for a regular oil change and asked them to see where the gear oil was coming from while it was there. Their explanation to me was that it was from a gasket, not one of the seals. I could have sworn they said where the halves connect but maybe I was wrong. I know the tranny was opened three or four years ago to change out the gearing.

I'll get under the car myself tomorrow then take it to an independent for a second opinion if need be. I hope you're right that it's something minor.

The leak probably amounts to a teaspoon full every two to three weeks. Basically, I can clean it up with a single paper towel.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Before you run off and spend the kids college fund, take a look at this repair.
This was done as an experiment, for I have correctly repaired a spare trans by replacing the case gasket .... which now sits in waiting: it will continue to sit, for this $2 repair is still dry after 5-6 months running.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garth S
Before you run off and spend the kids college fund, take a look at this repair.
This was done as an experiment, for I have correctly repaired a spare trans by replacing the case gasket .... which now sits in waiting: it will continue to sit, for this $2 repair is still dry after 5-6 months running.

I'll see if mine is from the same spot. The car wasn't ready today but I stopped by just to look at the paperwork. It says "leak from SSA Case halves". Sounds like the same spot as yours. And I'll hold off on the college fund.

thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 09:30 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and the 993tt I just bought has the exact same issue... I've stared at it's underbelly trying to decide how much it bothered me...
Thanks for the easy solution Garth. Never thought of a little "Silly Putty" repair.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
and the 993tt I just bought has the exact same issue... I've stared at it's underbelly trying to decide how much it bothered me...
Thanks for the easy solution Garth. Never thought of a little "Silly Putty" repair.
Sure hope that the "silly putty" works for you, for the alternative is a little more complicated .
The G50 and G64 both share the same paper gasket at the front of the main gear case, and the sealing surface is quite narrow at the lower dowel pin.
The very front case on the G64, housing the viscous coupler, is sealed to the intermediate via an anerobic compound ...... I had thought of using that ( superior) compound to replace the paper gasket, but chickened out for concern that dimensional tolerances on the gear stack may be shortened ....
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Tranny casing leak