993 Forum 1995-1998

Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:01 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob

My switchblade key has stopped working (not the immobilizer...just the key bit, will not work now) and I have decided to go to the seperate fob and key....I am assuming I will have to go to the local stealer to get the new key cut......but the question, is Sunset the best place to get the immobilizer fob from? Thanks in anticipation.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:02 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No, if you take apart your "brick" key fob you can remove the key from there and transfer it to the separate key fob housing.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Thanks Robin, but I want to retire my current one as a spare and get a new key.....I cant find my spare....I put it in a safe place....DUH!!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

check the inside of your shoes in the shoe rack
Old 09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Nice try......I have tried everywhere.....we moved into our house 2 years ago and when we moved in I took it out of the kitch drawer in the old house and thought, must find a better place to keep this safe....I obviously thought of exactly the right place!!! I turned the house upside down trying to find it over the weekend!!!....I have just been told by Rockville Porsche $136 for new key and fob.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
Nice try......I have tried everywhere.....we moved into our house 2 years ago and when we moved in I took it out of the kitch drawer in the old house and thought, must find a better place to keep this safe....I obviously thought of exactly the right place!!! I turned the house upside down trying to find it over the weekend!!!....I have just been told by Rockville Porsche $136 for new key and fob.
David, Rockville will not cut a key for you - they have to order one. You have to go to someone who can cut steel keys around here. There is someone on here who recently had this done in VA.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

David,

You can use 914 key blanks off of ebay for $4.00 each and have them cut at any good locksmith. I think Sunset gave me a "good" quote on a new transmitter...$120? I too, have two.

PS - where are you in Rockville? I grew up right by Churchill High and had some friends at Wootton...and how 'bout them 'Skins last night? Eagles did have some injuries, though...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

That's a good price if it's for both a key cut and fob. I paid close to $110 there for a VIN cut key from Rockville.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:03 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

My switchblade key has stopped working (not the immobilizer...just the key bit, will not work now) and I have decided to go to the seperate fob and key....I am assuming I will have to go to the local stealer to get the new key cut......but the question, is Sunset the best place to get the immobilizer fob from? Thanks in anticipation.

Got my two immobilizers from Sunset; they're still virgins

Quick Reply: Key Fob