Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I think I'm getting slower at making oil changes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:16 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I think I'm getting slower at making oil changes!

Man getting that small oil filter out (forgot that I was supposed to move it toward the front of the car and out after its off - duh!) and putting one end of that heater tube caused me some headaches tonight. I think I broke my old record (for slowest time ever!) Too embarassed to even say how long! But......its an oh so sweet victory to keep the labor money in the bank
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 AM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my 993 for three months and have not attempted an oil change yet. With the two filters, is it a job that would cover a garage floor? Meaning is there continued drips from the site where the oil filters are removed? Perhaps I could drive the car onto a shower curtain or such. Would like to give the change a try. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Q, grab a roll of aluminum foil to fashion custom funnels to help direct the oil into a container. It really comes in handy when draining the oil tank located in the wheel well.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A way to change the upper oil filter with no mess is poke a small air hole in it then open the drain on the oil tank. That will suck most the oil out the filter. Put a piece of tape over the hole before unscrewing it and you will have little or no drip. I have been doing it this way on 911's for more then 20 years with no problems.

Last edited by jimq; 09-18-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

That sounds like a great tip for the little filter. I am going to try it next change. Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dudley,
I think Jim was referring to the filter in the wheel well not under the motor. If you poked a hole in that one the oil would drop straight downward. I like the aluminum foil method for the side tank drain.

Quasr,
I'd go to p-car.com and check out the procedure first then plan several hours to get the job done the first time. The hardest parts (for me) were getting the small oil filter on/off (you need to where to move the filter to get it in place - something I forgot and struggled with last night - won't forget again though!). The heater tube or whatever that redish colored thing is can be tricky to get back on (think I'll just try pulling only one side of it next time and tuck it out of the way). You should know that you do not need to pull the metal tube off that sits right next to the small filter that p-car.com shows, it just makes getting the filter remover hard to get in there if you don't but can be done. If you do the job once you'll understand all of this. I just don't change the oil very often so I forgot a few key things and caused myself some difficulty. Next time will be faster!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 09-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Don't feel bad, I've done 3 or 4 and it still takes me over an hour to get the new oil in and get it to the correct level.
"one quart for you, one bottle for me.. glug glug -- one quart for you, one bottle for me.. glug glug -- one quart for you, one bottle for me.. glug glug... --

What a great tip Jim! That's gonna save me 15 minutes of oil wiping.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimq
A way to change the upper oil filter with no mess is poke a small air hole in it then open the drain on the oil tank. That will suck most the oil out the filter. Put a piece of tape over the hole before unscrewing it and you will have little or no drip. I have been doing it this way on 911's for more then 20 years with no problems.
That's a handy nugget of info! It should be at the very least, a footnote in all of the oil change procedures posted/published. I'll give it a shot next time. Thanks!
Old 09-19-2007, 06:50 AM
quasr
Racer

My baby is in getting a new clutch and I had thoughts of having the oil change done by the mechanic. With these great tips I will give it a try. Might still spread a plastic sheet or such. I am prone to spills, without fail. Thanks for the great tips guys. Give me a week or so to get my P-car back and will let you know how it goes.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
quasr
Racer

Anyone ever use Lucas Oil Stabilizer as an additive to their motor oil?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by quasr
Anyone ever use Lucas Oil Stabilizer as an additive to their motor oil?
DO NOT use any oil additives in your 993!!!

Do a search on Lucas in this forum and you'll find a lot of info why. Do a search on oil and you'll have enough reading material for a month....
Old 09-19-2007, 01:14 PM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Dudley
Q, grab a roll of aluminum foil to fashion custom funnels to help direct the oil into a container.
You can also cut a hole into the broad-side of a quart-sized plastic oil container, and make sure the plastic cap is off; this is your new funnel.

Carefully loosen and remove the engine-oil drain-plug while holding your newly constructed oil funnel with the cut hole facing the drain; aim the expelled oil from the funnel's mouth into your oil recovery container.

Nice and easy with no mess.

Quick Reply: I think I'm getting slower at making oil changes!