993 Forum 1995-1998

Wiring for tire trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiring for tire trailer?

I've finally lined up a trailer and hitch to carry my 2nd set of wheels to the track. Now I need to do the wiring in the car for the trailer electrical connector. It looks like I can get to all the lighting wires behind the right side taillight assembly. I would prefer to make the connections inside the engine compartment, but the plastic cover over the wires where they come in from the taillight seems trapped behind the oil line and I can't figure out how to get it out of the way. Any advice on the following would be appreciated
1) getting the plastic cover out of the way
2) how to identify the wires going to R/L turn signals, taillights, brake lights
3) best place to access battery and ground connections for the power converter
4) any other good advice that I didn't think to ask
Thanks, Doug
Old 09-16-2007, 07:45 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never used it but I am pretty sure there is a trailer plug/ connector hiding in the motor bay ! ready to go .Maybe someone has used this feature and can advise ?

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 09-16-2007, 10:38 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Red rooster
Never used it but I am pretty sure there is a trailer plug/ connector hiding in the motor bay ! ready to go .Maybe someone has used this feature and can advise ?!
At first I thought you're surely having a laugh but a search reveals you're not. It appears the 964 came with such a connector but not the 993.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phelix ,

That Tow electrics was from distant memory ! I double checked the 993 wiring diagrams and you are 100% correct . Another cost saving move on the 993 !!! This time a PIA !!

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 09-16-2007, 03:29 PM
JMR
Instructor

The prior owner of my 96 towed a tire trailer. I do not, however, all the wiring is still in place. It might give you a head start if you want to check it out. I am in the Philly Burbs.

johnrandolph3 at comcast dot net

Last edited by JMR; 09-16-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:34 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I tapped most of mine off of the left taillight wiring and go into the engine compartment from there. When I'm not using the connector I fold the harness and velcro the wiring to the tube that the engine compartment release wire runs in, by the distributors. When I'm towing I undo the velcro and stretch the harness to the middle then shut the lid - it holds in place. I got most of the parts I needed for the wiring at a U-haul distributor with further instructions by searching here.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:29 AM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

I tapped most of mine off of the left taillight wiring and go into the engine compartment from there.

1. Can you get the R turn signal from the left taillight? I figured that since the wiring harness goes past the R light on its way to the L, only on the R could I get both turn signals.
2. How did you route wires from the taillight into the engine compartment?
3. I read from someone that running the connector wires out under the deck led to cutting into the wires over time - it sounds like this hasn't been a problem for you? I was thinking of routing it down through the bumper and out through a bumperette hole. Maybe this is trying to be too cute. Your approach sounds a lot simpler.
4. Do you have a converter that is powered the battery? If so, where did you hook into a good feed from the battery?

I finally ran across Robin's P-car.com write-up on rear fog light installation. That was very helpful in understanding how to get at all the rear end wiring.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:02 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug49
I tapped most of mine off of the left taillight wiring and go into the engine compartment from there.

1. Can you get the R turn signal from the left taillight? I figured that since the wiring harness goes past the R light on its way to the L, only on the R could I get both turn signals.
2. How did you route wires from the taillight into the engine compartment?
3. I read from someone that running the connector wires out under the deck led to cutting into the wires over time - it sounds like this hasn't been a problem for you? I was thinking of routing it down through the bumper and out through a bumperette hole. Maybe this is trying to be too cute. Your approach sounds a lot simpler.
4. Do you have a converter that is powered the battery? If so, where did you hook into a good feed from the battery?

I finally ran across Robin's P-car.com write-up on rear fog light installation. That was very helpful in understanding how to get at all the rear end wiring.
1. I ran a single wire under the plastic strip to get to the right tailight wiring for the right turn signal.
2. I don't remember how I entered the engine compartment, but there must be a space to get the wires through from behind the tailight.
3. I chaffed one wire when I got it pinched in the latch - fixed with a little electrical tape. I think over time that this could be an issue, but it's the best I could come up with. Coming out by the license plate would be a better long-term solution.
5. I took off all the wiring from the taillight area - no direct feed to the battery.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:02 PM
Doug49
Rennlist Member

ColoradoMark - Thanks. Now that I look at my converter harness, I see that the wire to the R turn signal is much longer, as though it is intended to be hooked into the L side as you did with just that one wire running across the car.

Quick Reply: Wiring for tire trailer?