Old 09-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Randy 1
User

Default Okey dokey, I officially hate art

Old 09-13-2007, 02:20 PM
901aero
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some jackasses think they can do anything, place it under track lighting in a museum or gallery and call it art.

Hey, Hineylicher, that's called "recycling" only your suppose to use old, used up cars. What a jerk.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:38 PM
mr_fizz
User

at least it was a tip!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
TMc993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mr_fizz View Post
at least it was a tip!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:43 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Apparently it was some sort of factory test car that would be destroyed anyway. I kind of like the end result (and I like 997s).
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM
Quadcammer
Super User

kinda cool, but certainly a waste of a spectacular car.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
brucec59
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Art" is "fart" with a silent "f."
Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
biotechee
User

Hey- I think that one wheel, rotor and caliper were still good... Anyone got a phone number I can call...?!

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Derek_C
Addict
Rennlist Member

That is some seriously upseting video.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

I actually like it in a way. Art is just communication. It is a way of speaking, conveying concepts. A person may like it, or may not, or may not understand the language, or may not be "listening." Good art can communicate many different concepts or experiences to many different people.

I know I’ve been rambling about the aesthetic of older Porsches in a recent post, and maybe I'm just too artzy fartzy or something, but when I see this video and resulting display, it gives me a sense of what has been lost in recent decades in manufacturing of all products. Things used to be made by hand, they were crafted, you could buy a beautiful vase, or bowl or car and it wasn't just the shape and design that drew you to it, it was the energy it had, you could feel that someone crafted this, someone took their hands and created something, put their life and feelings into it.

The more and more automation permeates all aspects of manufacturing the less and less of that energy we have in our lives. This piece of art, and if you feel it is or isn't is up to you, but for me I feel that this is art, communicates this concept clearly to me. A Porsche in the past was viewed as something that was the epitome of craftsmanship. While still beautiful and valuable, modern products like the 977 inherently are much more a disposable product than older models.

Would you feel the same or worse if they crushed a similar condition 356? For me the 356 would be much more of a loss, even though the market price is much lower. Maybe if you feel like I do about the 356 vs. the 997 you kinda understand what I'm saying, maybe not. Maybe you just think I’m some loony oversensitive artzy type. Maybe you are right.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Arena993
Super User

Location: Franklin, TN Where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Baptist church, they pay cops to be crossing guards, everything is closed on Sundays, can't buy beer in a liquor store and the Civil War is still being fought.

Amfab:

Well said, but it still sucks to watch.

Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
cabrio993
Super User

They could have used a 996 instead...
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
901aero
Addict
Rennlist Member

Amfab: In theory I understand what you are saying and in fact agree with some of your points. And if you enjoy the piece then it is art to you.

I am an artist. I have a degree and a minor in Art History. Not that those facts make me any more of an expert than anyone else when it comes to what it is that moves you. But I have grown tired of those who do not use their own talents - abilities, insight, specific to their lives and experiences- to create.

Simply nailing two pieces of wood together and acting like it's art; calling it art; presenting it in an art setting, IMO does not make it art not does it make the person executing it an "artist".

What Gunther did there is not anything you, I, or any 10 year old couldn't do by pressing a few buttons.
And the result is well, uninspiring to me. I could care less if it was a Ford or a Ferrari. That's not my beef.

As a matter of fact he is not the first to do something like that. Maybe the first to crush a 997. But compactor art has been done years ago using other cars and or car parts.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:40 PM
allill
Super User

ouch
Old 09-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Marv
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was prettier before the metamorphosis. Just my opinion.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: